We are looking for a collections paralegal to work within our busy litigation practice in our friendly and collaborative Calgary office.
This position is under the general direction and supervision by the office manager and lawyer overseeing the foreclosures and collections group. The collections paralegal provides support preparing correspondence and legal documents as necessary in the course of department operations, and functions as administrative assistant in collection matters and also provides other support as required. The collections paralegal is accountable for collecting the maximum amount of overdue funds from customers, which may include a variety of customer location techniques, collection methods and legal claims.
Our ideal candidate is self-motivated, highly organized, has superior time management skills as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. We are also looking for that candidate who has the ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and who thrives in a fast-paced, professional team environment, while providing superior customer service to our clients.
- Managing a collection caseload with supervision from lawyer in charge of the files
- Notifying or locating customers with delinquent accounts and attempts to secure payment, using postal services or telephone or other means provided by the client
- Mailing form letters to customers to encourage payment of delinquent accounts
- Conferring with debtors by telephone in attempt to determine reason for overdue payment, reviewing terms of sales, service, or credit contract with client
- Assembling information for cases in which legal action is indicated
- Sending demand letters to debtors
- Corresponding with clients
- Taking payments from debtors and posting same to the client
- Making settlement with debtors
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing
- 5-8 years of legal experience, preferably in litigation or in collections work
- Able to type 50 wpm and must be proficient with word processing and spreadsheet software
- Experience using Office 365 SharePoint and Planner would be considered an asset
- Accessing and using online resources such as Collect Link, Techcom and Litigation Highway
- Holding a Commissioner of Oaths preferred but not required
- Organizing and prioritizing multiple deadlines and completing them under time constraints
- Following instructions with minimal supervision and excitement to excel in a fast-paced, professional team environment;
- A competitive salary
- Comprehensive coverage for health and wellness benefits
- Access to group savings plans and investment options
- Options for flexible work agreements and vacation coverage,
Our Diversity Statement
MLT Aikins is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive and diverse work environment. Our principles of diversity, equity and inclusion creates a space for everyone to collaborate, allowing us to deliver excellent, and increasingly innovative, legal service to our clients. We encourage individuals of a diverse group to apply to our job postings when they become available.
Please use the form below to apply to MLT Aikins. A confirmation email will be sent once your application is submitted. Please check your spam folder if you did not receive this email. If you did not receive a confirmation email, please email your submission to email@example.com.