This position will be responsible for providing administrative and clerical support for lawyers in the advocacy group of the Edmonton office. Our ideal candidate is self-motivated and highly organized and has superior computer, proofreading and time management skills as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The candidate must be able to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and thrive in a fast-paced, professional team environment. Please note this is a term position for 12 months covering a maternity leave.
- Transcribing digital dictation, creating documents from standard forms or handwritten notes and editing various legal documents
- Preparing court materials such as application records, books of authorities, appeal records and appeal books
- Maintaining lawyers’ calendars and contacts, scheduling client appointments as directed and arranging travel schedules as necessary
- Organizing and prioritizing numerous tasks and completing them under time constraints
- Performing client conflict checking, opening new client matters and maintaining established files
- Preparing client billings, responding to billing inquiries and co-ordinating with clients on billing preferences
- Maintaining an efficient manual and electronic file system
- Graduate of a recognized legal assistant program (equivalencies will be considered)
- Minimum three to five years of experience in an active litigation practice
- Advanced computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook and document management software
- Client-focused approach and commitment to providing exceptional service to internal and external clients
- A competitive salary
- Comprehensive coverage for health and wellness benefits
- Access to group savings plans and investment options
- Options for flexible work agreements and vacation coverage
Our Diversity Statement
MLT Aikins is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive and diverse work environment. Our principles of diversity, equity and inclusion creates a space for everyone to collaborate, allowing us to deliver excellent, and increasingly innovative, legal service to our clients.
If this sounds like you, please submit your resumé and cover letter using the form below. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please use the form below to apply to MLT Aikins. A confirmation email will be sent once your application is submitted. Please check your spam folder if you did not receive this email. If you did not receive a confirmation email, please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.