Our Edmonton office is looking for a strong, experienced paralegal to join the team and work with our growing litigation practice. The ideal candidate will have good practical training and experience from years of a busy litigation practice at a business law firm. Experience with iPro/Eclipse will be considered an asset.
This is a client-based environment, and the litigation paralegals work directly with lawyers and clients on transactions across the firm. The candidate must be able to take instruction, understand basic transactions and work independently to provide draft documentation. Must also be able to multi-task and prioritize a workload, pay attention to detail, and have excellent organizational, communication and written skills.
- Graduate of a recognized Legal Assistant Program/Paralegal Studies Program (equivalencies will be considered)
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in an active litigation practice
- Fact investigation or review of documentation received from adjuster
- File overview/synopsis including preparation of Initial File Summary, inclusive of summary of limitation dates
- Researching – quantum/liability where appropriate
- Overseeing and encouraging litigation department standard organization of files, overseeing trial book preparations
- Responsible for own diarization system and limitation dates for individual files
- Preparing Bill of Costs including summarizing and reviewing of opposing parties’ Bill of Costs
- Organizing and overseeing preparation of Written Briefs/arguments etc.
- Enforcement – capable of performing all aspects of civil enforcement rules, forms etc.
- Preparing Affidavits of Records; meeting with clients to review Affidavits of Records and tracking down deponents, if required
- Preparing Notices of Motion, Affidavit and Order
- Preparing Orders, Releases and Discontinuances of Action – general pleading preparation
- Summarizing Medicals / preparing indices / quantum
- Preparing initial Statements of Defence/Claim
- Maintaining Undertakings and Responses
- Preparing Exhibit Lists
- Preparing Notice of Appeal, Appeal Books, Agreed Statement of Facts
A friendly, cooperative atmosphere typifies the working environment of the Edmonton office of MLT Aikins. Salary is negotiable. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please use the form below to apply to MLT Aikins. A confirmation email will be sent once your application is submitted. Please check your spam folder if you did not receive this email. If you did not receive a confirmation email, please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.