Our Winnipeg office is currently seeking an experienced litigation paralegal to assist in the preparation of complex litigation matters, including factual and legal research as well as document analysis. Working alongside a group of like-minded professionals, the litigation paralegal will conduct assignments in a number of areas, including: personal injury claims, insurance, professional liability, health care, construction, product liability, wrongful dismissal claims and disability claims litigation. The litigation paralegal will also provide ad hoc support to the Winnipeg collections team.
To succeed in this full-time role, the individual must be detail-oriented with an excellent ability to multi-task, prioritize and organize, and must have strong analytical skills. The suitable candidate will have superior verbal and written communication skills and possess the ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Conducting searches in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office, Personal Property Registry, Motor Vehicle Branch and Court of Queen’s Bench
- Preparing pleadings including Statements of Claim, Statements of Defence, Third Party Claims, Counterclaims and Crossclaims
- Conducting legal research using QuickLaw and CanLII, and preparing legal memoranda
- Organizing medical records for electronic delivery using Summation; reviewing and summarizing medical records
- Assisting with Examinations for Discovery including preparing and answering undertakings, organizing supporting documents, reviewing and summarizing transcripts and communication with clients regarding answers to undertakings
- Preparing motion material including Notices of Motion, Motion Briefs and Affidavits; attending to the execution of Affidavits
- Interviewing witnesses, preparing witness statements, preparing and serving Subpoenas
- Retaining experts and preparing instruction letters enclosing supporting documents, with a view to obtaining expert opinion
- Entering judgments and obtaining Orders
- Preparing settlement documents (Notice of Satisfaction, Notice of Discontinuance, Releases, etc.)
- Preparing and serving default documents; preparing garnishment documents; preparing documents in aid of Execution, Writ of Sale and Seizure
- Collections of accounts on behalf of Clients
- Graduation from an accredited paralegal program, previous work experience as a paralegal or extensive experience as a legal assistant
- Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and other Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of Summation, Techcom, CollectLink or other document management software will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of procedural and substantive law; strong working knowledge of Court of Queen’s Bench Rules as well as familiarity with the rules of court from other provinces
If this sounds like you, please submit your resumé and cover letter using the application form below.
Application deadline: April 8, 2019
Please use the form below to apply to MLT Aikins. A confirmation email will be sent once your application is submitted. Please check your spam folder if you did not receive this email. If you did not receive a confirmation email, please email your submission to email@example.com.