As a growing and dynamic firm, we are interested in hearing from a qualified legal assistant/paralegal in trademarks for our IP practice group. This position will assist lawyers and/or trademark agents with a variety of legal tasks in accordance with MLT Aikins processes and guidelines. It will also work with our IP support group regarding file intake and invoicing.
- Preparing and filing online Canadian trademark applications
- Helping prepare letters instructing filing of trademark applications in other jurisdictions
- Preparing letters reporting Canadian and foreign application filing particulars
- Drafting letters to foreign agents providing instructions for prosecution of foreign applications
- Checking and reporting approval notices and advertisements
- For Canadian applications, paying registration fees (where applicable) and preparing reporting letters
- Receiving, checking and forwarding certificates of registration; preparing cover letters
- Helping prepare correspondence in oppositions, summary cancellation proceedings and disputes
- Managing due dates and following up with clients when needed
- Processing invoices from foreign agents; preparing and sending invoices to clients
- The ideal candidate will have three or more years of experience in this role and will have graduated from a recognized paralegal program (equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered)
- Knowledge of Patrix IP Helpware or other leading trademark docketing software systems is considered an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of the amendments to the Canadian Trademarks Act and Regulations
- Comprehensive understanding of NICE classification system and ability to draft grouping of goods and services where applicable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Aderant accounting system is considered an asset
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong teamwork skills, problem solving skills and attention to detail
If this sounds like you, please submit your resumé and cover letter using the form below.
Application deadline: August 30, 2019
Please use the form below to apply to MLT Aikins. A confirmation email will be sent once your application is submitted. Please check your spam folder if you did not receive this email. If you did not receive a confirmation email, please email your submission to email@example.com.