Edmonton lawyer Sam Amelio will offer his insights on succession planning at an upcoming conference hosted by the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA).
LESA’s Refresher 2022: Wills and Estates conference takes place at the Rimrock Resort Hotel in Banff from April 29 – May 2. On May 1, Sam will join a panel discussion titled “The Solicitor’s Role in Identifying the Goals, Objectives, Benefits and Pitfalls of Business Succession Planning.”
The complimentary four-day conference, chaired by Justice S.D. Hillier, promises an in-depth exploration of wills, estate planning, estate administration and estate litigation issues. Other topics on the agenda include:
- Initial considerations on estate litigation files
- Managing the court process: Rules of Court vs. Surrogate Rules
- Common and unique claims and proceedings
- Interpretation applications
- Final considerations
- Capacity tests for different legal tasks
- New developments in capacity law
- Capacity assessment
- Charitable giving
- Will substitutes
- Changes to AISH legislation and rules
- FMS claims
- Review of the FMS case law
- A summary of the principles of spousal support in divorce
Sam has extensive experience advising corporate clients and their families on succession and estate planning matters. He has held a Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) designation since 2006, and was appointed to the board of directors of The Society of Trust and Estate Planners (STEP Canada) last year.
LESA offers continuing education and professional development for lawyers, articling students and legal support staff in Alberta. Learn more about LESA’s wills and estates refresher.