Bryan serves as counsel in the areas of taxation, corporate and commercial law, personal and corporate tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, structuring business organizations and corporate financial transactions, counsel in shareholder disputes and succession planning, counsel to a variety of enterprises engaged in the planning, construction, ownership and leasing of real property, as well as for clients engaged in the natural resource, mining, forestry and fertilizer industries in Manitoba.
- True North Sports and Entertainment Ltd. – Lead counsel in connection with the municipal approval process, development, financing, organization and construction of the 14,000 seat MTS Centre in downtown Winnipeg, one of Canada’s most successful sports and entertainment complexes.
- Louisiana Pacific Corp. – Advised LP with respect to general business law matters in connection with all of its Manitoba operations since it commenced business in Manitoba. Specifically, has advised it in connection with compliance with all forestry and environmental laws. In 2009, successfully appeared on behalf of LP before The Manitoba Clean Environment Commission, which held public hearings concerning LP’s operations at Swan River, MB.
- Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba – Acted as counsel to WCB in connection with governance issues, and its investments, both in Manitoba and throughout Canada.
- The J.R. Simplot Company of Boise, ID – Advised Simplot for many years in connection with all of its operations in Manitoba, including the recent sale of its fertilizer plant in Brandon, MB.
- Enns Brothers Ltd. – Counsel to Enns Brothers Ltd. in connection with all of its operations in Manitoba. Enns Brothers is Manitoba’s largest John Deere dealer.
- Edgewater Limited Partnership – Advised the owners of this luxury condominium project with respect to its construction, development and financing, including an offering of limited partnership units for financing its development.
- Chisick Metal – Provided corporate structure and tax advice and general assistance to Chisick for a number of years. Recently assisted in the merger and acquisition process with respect to a large-scale corporate acquisition undertaken by Chisick.
Bryan has significant experience in negotiating and representing stakeholders, public institutions, governments and other organizations – with particular emphasis on private corporation planning and reorganization. He also has experience in negotiating and working with government agencies at all levels of civic, provincial and federal jurisdiction.
- Past Chairman, Manitoba Law School Foundation
- Former Board Member of Rainbow Stage Inc., the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the Alumni Association of the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg Harvest Inc., MEDC Employment Development Inc., Manitoba Children’s Museum Inc., Health Sciences Centre Foundation, Shaarey Zedek Synagogue, the Sharon Home Foundation Inc., Manitoba Theatre Centre and the Winnipeg Jewish Theatre Inc.
- Former President and Board Member for many years of Versatech Industries Inc. and Versatech Charitable Foundation, Inc., organizations whose mandate is to promote the interests of supported employment for the mentally challenged
- Life Bencher, The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- American Bar Association
- Lecturer on Taxation and Business Law Matters at the Government of Manitoba (Enterprise Development Centre), Canadian Tax Foundation, Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg, The Law Society of Manitoba, Isaac Pitblado Annual Lecturers, the Manitoba Bar Association and Dorsey & Whitney (Minneapolis)
- Lecturer, University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law, Landlord and Tenant and Business Planning
- Former course head, The Law Society of Manitoba, Bar Admission Program, Corporate and Commercial Law Section
- Corporate Management Tax Conference, Canadian Tax Foundation, Presenter, “Sale of a Partnership Business” (1996)
- Manitoba Law Journal (1974 vol. 6 No.1) “Reserves Under the Income Tax Act” Conference (2000)