Chris Woodland is a business and technology lawyer who advises business organizations – from sole proprietors to global corporations – on various matters including corporate structuring, agreements for procurement, distribution, corporate finance, leasing, licensing, intellectual property commercialization (and franchising) and mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Chris has significant experience with First Nations’ economic development initiatives – on and off reserve.
Chris is a registered trademark agent who prepares and prosecutes trademark, certification mark and “official” mark applications, and acts for clients on trademark acquisition, sale and licensing arrangements. He also provides advice on opposition and infringement proceedings.
His experience in intellectual property and technology includes work on international software development and licensing agreements, publication of literary and musical works, and the development and commercial deployment of entertainment properties. He regularly drafts, and advises on, memorandums of understanding and confidentiality agreements relating to emerging technologies, trade secrets and other proprietary information.
- Director, Greater Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce
- Chair (2011-2014), Director (2010-2014), Sask Film and Video Development Corporation
- Director, Aurora Soccer Club Inc. (2011-2016)
- Member, Licensing Executives Society (U.S. and Canada) (2010-present)
- Associate Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (2006-present)
- Chair, Business Law North, CBA (Saskatchewan) (2004-2006)
- Director (2000-2004), Vice-President (2003-2004), Persephone Theatre
- Co-presenter, “Drafting an IP Licensing Agreement,” webinar, CBA’s Skilled Lawyer Series Program
- Saskatchewan contributing author, “Corporate Knowledge,” The Business Advisor (a five-part IP series), Lex Mundi Intellectual Property World Desk Reference
- “eCommerce Primer,” Technology Law North Section, CBA Saskatchewan Branch (2010)
- “Intellectual Property Considerations in Construction and Industrial Projects,” Planning For Success on Industrial and Infrastructure Projects in Saskatchewan, MLT Seminar (2009)
- “The New 2008 CCDC 2 Stipulated Price Contract,” The Fundamentals of Construction Contracts: Understanding the Issues, Lorman (2008)
- “Industry Standard Agreements,” with Linda Widdup, Planning For Success on Industrial and Infrastructure Projects in Saskatchewan, MLT Seminar (2008)
- “IP Law Basics: Copyright and Trademark,” CBA Sasakatchewan Branch Mid-Winter Meeting (2007)
- “Corporate Governance Best Practices for Non-Profit Boards,” Saskatchewan Heavy Industry Association (2006)
- “Canadian Copyright Law,” Editor’s Association of Canada (2005)
- “Patents, Trademarks and Technology Transfer, College of Engineering, University of Regina (2005)
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Intellectual Property Law, Information Technology Law (since 2011)