Cody Van Hell maintains a general practice with a focus on real estate, planning and development, environmental and municipal matters.
Cody provides advice on a wide range of land, planning and development issues, including:
- zoning, subdivision and development permits
- land access issues, including access easements, road use agreement and temporary roads
- easements, restrictive covenants and other caveatable interests
- registration and removal of caveats on title
- taking municipal reserve, environmental reserve and cash in lieu
- development agreements, deferred services agreements and development levies
- statutory plans and land use bylaws
- public land dispositions
- environmental issues, including reclamation and Water Act matters as well as provincial and federal environmental assessment processes
Cody’s experience in commercial real estate includes drafting and reviewing purchase and sale agreements, commercial leases, easements, road use agreements and mortgages, as well as carrying out due diligence for real estate matters.
Cody has assisted senior counsel in hearings before the Municipal Government Board, the Alberta Utilities Commission and an Expropriation Act inquiry officer, as well as in appeals and judicial review matters before the courts. He has also appeared before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench on land-related matters.
Prior to practising law, Cody worked for more than five years as a professional planner at one of Alberta’s largest regulated utilities, where he held a senior position leading land-use planning and site selection on large infrastructure projects. He also has professional experience working at an international planning and engineering firm, a rural Alberta municipality and the legal department of the Alberta Energy Regulator.
Cody has extensive experience in stakeholder consultation and holds an IAP2 certificate in public participation.
- Case Worker, Student Legal Assistance (2014-2015)
- Committee Member / Vice Chair, Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Association Planning Committee (2009-2014)