Conor is a seasoned energy lawyer with extensive experience in environmental and regulatory compliance, litigation and obtaining project approvals for oil and gas, renewable, mining, pipeline and oil sands clients.
Prior to joining MLT Aikins, Conor spent more than 10 years with Suncor Energy Inc., acting in a variety of roles. Most recently, he was responsible for environmental and regulatory due diligence regarding Suncor’s operations and M&A activities, and served as a key contributor to the firm’s global ESG strategy.
Conor provided strategic legal advice on several of Suncor’s multi-billion-dollar energy projects, including the Meadow Creak East and West in situ projects and the Base Plant and Fort Hills mines. He has litigated numerous multi-million-dollar and multi-party claims relating to environmental, commercial, HR and operational matters.
Before joining Suncor, Conor acted for a number of major oil and gas, renewable, mining, pipeline, and oil sands companies on a variety of matters, from hearings before energy regulators and administrative tribunals to project approvals and company reorganizations. He has extensive experience drafting applications and preparing witnesses for appearances at permitting and energy development hearings.
Conor has also assisted clients on Indigenous matters, including the duty to consult and accommodate and the development of impact/benefit, joint venture and relationship agreements.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Conor was a professional beach volleyball player who toured across Canada, the U.S. and Europe.
- Alberta v. Suncor Energy Inc. 2016 ABQB 264; 2017 ABCA 221. At the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and Court of Appeal, successfully argued for the ability of companies to conduct regulatory investigations on a legally privileged basis, setting a Canadian legal precedent
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Volunteer Golf Coach, Calgary Special Olympics
- Organizer of annual Christmas toy drive for Calgary’s Ronald McDonald House and KidSport Calgary
- Editor, Saskatchewan Law Review 2006-2007
- Co-author, “The Alarm Bell is Sounding and the Regulator is at the Door: Emergency Response, Reporting, and Investigations in the Age of Heightened Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement” (Alberta Law Review Volume 55, Issue 2, 2017)
- Sessional lecturer of Energy Law classes (Energy Imports/Exports, Water Law, Administrative Law) at the University of Calgary, College of Law
- Lexpert Rising Star (2015)
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation Prize (highest mark in Oil and Gas Law class at the University of Saskatchewan)
- Wascana Energy Scholarship (outstanding academic and athletic achievement)