David has more than 35 years of litigation experience and has appeared in the Federal Courts and the Courts of Alberta, the Northwest Territories and British Columbia in both civil and constitutional suits. He has been advising First Nation’s Councils on day-to-day governance issues and other legal issues for over 25 years and has been involved in self-government negotiations for the last 10 years.
David has more than 35 years of litigation experience. He has represented First Nations in the Federal Courts and in the Courts of Alberta, the Northwest Territories and British Columbia in civil and constitutional issues ranging from the validity of historic reserve land surrenders and the use of trust funds through to the validity of last week’s election results and yesterday’s Council decisions. He has appeared in the Federal Court of Appeal, the Alberta Court of Appeal and the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
He advises Councils on day-to-day governance, legislative and general legal issues.
For the last 10 years he has served as legal adviser to a Dene and Métis community negotiating recognition of their inherent and treaty right of self-government.
- Mayor, Summer Village of Silver Beach
- Director, Bridgewater Bank
- Member and Past Chair, Edmonton Regional Advisory Board, Alberta Motor Association
- Past Governor, Alberta Motor Association
- Past Member, Vestry of the Anglican Parish of Christ Church, Edmonton
- Past Director, Pro Coro Canada, The Choir
- The Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Medal (Alberta, 2023)
- A leading practitioner, Indigenous, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (Alberta, 2014)