Devon Molloy is an articling student based in Winnipeg. He returns to MLT Aikins after summering with the firm in 2020.
With a Bachelor’s of Commerce (Honours) degree in both human resource management and leadership, Devon brings a strong academic foundation and skills formed in a competitive commercial context. He further developed his business acumen, research skills and strategic problem-solving ability through a number of past roles and successful case competitions and mock trials – equipping him with valuable tools to address the complex legal issues of business law.
His interest in the areas of corporate and commercial law includes mergers and acquisitions, shareholder and partnership agreements, franchise agreements, joint ventures, startups, corporate governance, secured transactions and commercial real estate transactions.
An active member of his local community, Devon regularly volunteers with charitable causes, using his knowledge and background to serve others. For example, he worked with Creative Manitoba to develop a guide to fair dealing in Canada and an overview of copyright protections, and he assisted foreign nationals with refugee status applications during his time with Welcome Place.
- Mediator and Arbitrator, Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada (2019-2020)
- Student Member-at-Large, Business Law Section, Securities Law Section, Legal Research Section, Manitoba Bar Association (2019-2020)
- Executive Member, Manitoba Law Students’ Association (MLSA), Robson Hall Faculty of Law (2018-2020)
- Included: Robson Hall Debate Society, MLSA Clinical Experience Committee, MLSA Business Law Group, MLSA Accessibility Committee
- President, University of Manitoba Leadership Organization (2016-2017)
- Vice-President, University of Manitoba Human Resources Association (2016-2017)
- Risk Management Co-ordinator, Kinesiology Games (2016-2017)
- Founder, Asper School of Business Public Speaking Workshops (2015-2017)
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Students Canada Placement with Creative Manitoba (2019-2020)
- Volunteer, Welcome Place (2019-2020)
- Head defensive coach, Manitoba Thunderbolts Hockey Team (2013-2015)
- “Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire: Analyzing the Integrity and Efficacy of the Manitoba Criminal Justice System,” Robson Crim Legal Blog (April 16, 2019)
- “Six Feet Under: The Benefits and Misgivings of Allowing the Crown to Withhold Breathalyzer Maintenance Records,” Robson Crim Legal Blog (November 29, 2018)
- R.R. Goodwin, Q.C. Prize for Property Law – Highest standing in property law (2019)
- Research Engagement and Excellence Distinction (2019)
- Patricia N. and Mark G. Smerchanski Law Entrance Scholarship (2018)
- Beta Gamma Sigma – Honour society for the top 5% of business programs globally (2018)
- Gail MacMillan Award – For academic achievement in human resource management (2017)
- Dean’s Honour List (2014 – 2017)
- UM Hogg Centennial Entrance Scholarship (2014)
- Harold G. Fox Canadian Intellectual Property Law Moot (2020)
- 1st Place, Best Financial Analysis, CEO Ramp Up Weekend Start-Up Competition (2018)
- 3rd Place, Jeux De Commerce West Debate (2014-2017)
- 2nd Place, University of Manitoba Actuarial Club Cup (2017)
- 3rd Place, Best Business Case, International Engineering and Commerce Case Competition (2017)
- 1st Place, University of Manitoba Marketing Association Case Competition (2016)