Don Wilson left his business law practice to serve as managing partner of MLT from 2002 through 2016, and effective January 1, 2017 was named the first managing partner of MLT Aikins. Most of Don's time is now dedicated to firm management duties, but he still provides corporate governance advice to a limited group of clients.
- Counsel to SaskPower Corporation on a number of power purchase agreements with private sector developers of various cogeneration and stand alone power generation facilities in Saskatchewan.
- Counsel to IPSCO Inc. on the development of its Iowa and Alabama steel facilities and the Canadian bank syndicated and U.S. private placement loan facilities to finance the construction of these facilities.
- Counsel to Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan on its 50% investment in the NewGrade Energy Inc heavy oil upgrader in Regina and the disposition of that interest for $386 million, and for the Canadian and U.S. public and private government guaranteed financings for that project totalling in excess of $500 million.
- Counsel on Saskferco Products LLC $1.6 billion sale to Yara International ASA (named the 2008 Canadian Inbound Acquisition of the Year by Lexpert Magazine).
Don has acted as counsel for the formation, organization and operation of a number of government and industry sponsored mega-projects in the mining, oil and gas, steel, commodity and heavy equipment industries.
He has advised borrowers on project and operating capital financings of various sizes involving lenders in both the Canadian and US markets. He is experienced in matters of corporate restructuring, refinancing and the acquisition and disposal of commercial assets, and has completed many syndicated financing arrangements.
Don has worked closely with, and has served on, a number of public, private and not-for-profit boards and other governing bodies, recommending best practices for effective governance and oversight, efficient process, proper due diligence, regulatory compliance, and meeting reporting and disclosure requirements.
He has extensive experience as secretary/counsel to boards of directors of various public and private companies including Saskatchewan Potash Producers Association Inc. and RLG International Inc.
- Uncommon Purpose Director, SHAD
- Member, Prairie Leadership Council of Prostate Cancer Canada
- Former Chair, Hospitals of Regina Foundation
- Named a “Man of Influence” by SaskBusiness Magazine (2014)
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Governance, Corporate Law (since 2006)
- A leading practitioner, Corporate Commercial, Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory (since 2003)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – “AV Peer Review Rated”
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (1998)