Eleanor Olszewski practises in the areas of commercial litigation, insurance and professional discipline.
- Lead counsel at trial and on appeal in MacCabe v. Westlock School Division, a case involving a young girl who became a quadriplegic after an unsuccessful gymnastics manoeuvre.
- Counsel in significant case involving the failure of a racing and gaming facility.
- Hearing, judicial review and appeal work involving professional disciplinary matters.
Eleanor’s practice includes defence litigation, insurance coverage claims, professional negligence and disciplinary matters. She has experience in matters involving insurance claims regarding construction litigation, fire losses, product liability, property claims and serious personal injury and wrongful death claims. She has also handled coverage opinions, errors and omissions disputes and government liability claims.
Eleanor has participated in a number of significant and lengthy Queen’s Bench trials in Alberta, as well as many hearings before administrative tribunals.
- Member, Cabinet, Women United
- Peer Support Member, Law Society Lawyers’ ASSIST Program
- Member, Conduct Committee, Law Society of Alberta (2011)
- Member, Administrative Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Construction Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Defence Research Institute USA
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, Professional Responsibility Committee, Law Society of Alberta (2010)
- Organizer, Warm Hands Warm Heart, Firm Fundraiser for Edmonton Homeless Shelters (2011, 2015)
- Actor/Supporter, Players de Novo, Death on the Nile, Fundraiser for Catalyst Theatre and Victoria School for the Performing Arts (2010)
- Adjunct Clinical Professor, Pharmacy Ethics and Negligence Law, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alberta (1995-2010)
- Director, Edmonton Opera Association (2000-2009)
- Governor, NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology) (1997-2003)
- Academic Staff, Pharmacy Ethics and Negligence Law, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alberta (1995-2010)
- Member, Caritas Hospitals Bioethics Committee (1993-2001)
- Presenter, “High Times – Cannabis and Professional Discipline,” MLT Aikins Seminar for Professional Regulators (Sept 2018)
- Presenter “Implications of Legalization of Cannabis,” Alberta Federation of Regulated Health Professionals (2018)
- Presenter, “Practice Management for Lawyers,” CBA Civil Litigation Section Sponsored by Law Society of Alberta ASSIST (2018, 2017)
- Presenter, “Challenges in Professional Regulation: Ungovernable and Self-Regulated Members,” MLT Aikins Seminar for Professional Regulators (2017)
- Presenter, “Changing times – Current Issues in Pharmacy Risk Management,” Canadian Pharmacists Association (2016)
- Presenter, “Implications of Medical Assistance in Dying,” Alberta Continuing Care Association Convention (2016, 2015)
- Presenter, “Construction Risk Management,” SARIMS Professional Development Seminar (2016)
- Presenter, “Evidence in Administrative Hearings,” MLT Seminar for Professional Regulators (2016)
- Presenter, “Bad Faith and Construction Contracts,” AON Construction Law Banff Conference (2015)
- Presenter, “Bias in Administrative Tribunals,” MLT Seminar for Professional Regulators (2015)
- Presenter, “Someone Stole my Counting Tray,” Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists Annual Convention, Panel on Expanded Scope of Practice for Pharmacists (2014)
- Presenter, “Advanced Prescribing and the Pharmacist,” RxA/Continuing Education for Retail Pharmacists (2012)
Numerous other presentations to clients, professional associations, insurers, adjusters, school boards, pharmacists and others regarding negligence law, insurance defence, school liability, pharmacy negligence, disability law and risk management.
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada — Insurance Law (2019)
- LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell — “BV Distinguished” (2019)
- One of Edmonton’s Top 100 Women in Business — The Wanderer (2013)
- International Association of Defense Counsel — Nominated Member (since 2000)
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2007)