Harman works with clients to develop and implement succession and estate plans that meet their unique needs, circumstances and intentions.
Harman works with clients to achieve their unique goals in succession and estate planning including providing for disabled beneficiaries, preserving family assets, establishing testamentary trusts, and reorganizing corporate entities for an orderly intergenerational transfer of business ownership. He also assists individuals and trust companies with estate administration including applying for grants of probate or administration, interpreting wills, and advising on executor’s duties and beneficiaries’ rights.
In addition, Harman works in the area of international estate planning and administration. For clients with assets, beneficiaries or representatives in Canada as well as another country, Harman helps navigate the complexities of cross-border and multi-jurisdictional estate matters, engaging local counsel as needed to ensure legal processes and requirements are satisfied in both jurisdictions.
Harman practises out of both the Winnipeg and Calgary offices of MLT Aikins, and is the current chair of the Winnipeg Branch of STEP Canada. He often presents and writes on issues pertaining to estate planning and administration.
Harman is fluent in English, Hindi and Punjabi.
- Wills and Estates Lawyer, Pitblado Law (2016-2017)
- Associate Lawyer, Campbell Marr LLP (2013-2016)
- Chair, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) – Winnipeg Branch
- Member, Board of Directors, STEP Canada
- Member, STEP National Conference Committee
- Member, STEP Public Policy Committee
- Co-Chair, Manitoba Bar Association – International Law Section
- Programme Officer, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners – Winnipeg Branch (2018-2021)
- Member, STEP Canada Trusts & Estates Technical Committee (2019-2020)
- Member, Board of Directors, La Maison des Artistes Visuels Francophones (2016-2020)
- Student Liaison Officer, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners – Winnipeg Branch (2016-2018)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Moderator, “Domicile: What Is It, When Does It Matter, and Why Do You Care?” 24th National Conference – STEP Canada (June 2022)
- Co-Author, “A Potpourri of Issues in the Tax Lifecycle of an Estate File,” Prairie Provinces Tax Conference – Canadian Tax Foundation (June 2022)
- Co-Presenter, “Step into the Estate Plan for a Complex Family,” Manitoba Bar Association (May 2022)
- Moderator, “Succession Law and the Indigenous Peoples of Canada,” STEP Canada 2021-2022 Branch/Chapter Bundle
- Co-Moderator, “Conflict of Laws in Estate Planning,” STEP Canada 2021 Q1/Q2 Branch/Chapter Bundle
- Presenter, “Probate Planning in a Feeless Province,” Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg (April 2021)
- Co-Presenter, “Home and the World – Planning for the Multijurisdictional Estate,” Manitoba Bar Association (February 2021)
- Co-editor, “Jurisdictional Resource Chart – Conflict of Laws,” STEP Canada (March 2021)
- Co-author, “Reforming Trustee Compensation in Manitoba,” STEP Inside, Volume 20, No. 1 (January 2021)
- Author, “Probate Planning in Manitoba: Fees, Pitfalls, and Possibilities,” STEP Inside, Volume 19, No. 3 (October/November 2020)
- Author, “Mental Capacity Special Interest Group Jurisdictional Reference Guide: Manitoba”, STEP (2020)
- Quoted in “Managing Estate Holdbacks,” Advisor’s Edge (March 25, 2019)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Trusts and Estates (2023 Edition)
- Volunteer of the Year Award, STEP Winnipeg (2019)