Senior corporate and commercial lawyer in our business law department, Hugh has significant experience in both private and public company corporate governance compliance, secured syndicated financings, corporate acquisitions and reorganizations in both Canada and the United States.
Hugh provides advice on cross-border issues and has acted as lead company counsel in the context of numerous public equity and convertible debt offerings, so he knows what is required in order to prepare businesses at an early stage of their development for due diligence by underwriters and counsel.
With extensive public company experience, Hugh provides timely and proactive advice to boards of directors on matters of governance and regulatory compliance. He acted as the Corporate Secretary for The Arctic Group Inc. from 1997 until 2002, while this public issuer first listed on the Alberta Stock Exchange and subsequently when it listed on the more senior Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE). In 2002 he became Corporate Secretary and lead Canadian counsel to Arctic Glacier Income Fund, continuing his responsibilities to the Board of Trustees and Fund Committees and remaining responsible for all continuous disclosure compliance including insider trading reporting.
- Past Chair, Legislation and Law Reform and Constitution Committees
- Member, American Association of Corporate Counsel
- Corporate Secretary and lead Canadian Counsel, Arctic Glacier Income Fund (2002-present)
- Member, Isaac Pitblado Lecture Series organizing committee (2006)
- Corporate Secretary, The Arctic Group Inc. (1997-2002)
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Life council member, Canadian Bar Association
- Occasional lecturer, University of Manitoba Faculty of Law
- Presenter, “Going Global – Advising Clients Doing Business Beyond Borders,” Isaac Pitblado Lecture Series (2006)
- Has appeared frequently as an expert in various legal proceedings