Bob Black is the lead of the firm’s Edmonton litigation group. He has more than 25 years of experience as a litigator, handling all manner of complex matters.
Bob is an experienced litigator with an extensive background in professional errors and omissions, construction litigation, complex property and casualty claims and commercial litigation. He has appeared before all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Bob also has an extensive background in municipal planning, public private partnerships and economic development.
Bob has developed much valued relationships with Northern Alberta Indigenous leaders and has great interest in advancing Indigenous causes.
Prior to joining MLT Aikins, Robert served 10 years as the Executive Vice President Sports and Entertainment for the Katz Group of companies where his primary role was to manage the continued development of the company’s sports and entertainment business, including the development of a sports and entertainment district in downtown Edmonton. In this role he: acted as a member of the Negotiating Committee for the successful public private partnership between the Katz Group and the City of Edmonton for the funding and construction of Rogers Place; was the Katz Group representative on the Project Leadership Team which was responsible for all aspects of the design and construction and lead on the negotiation of all major contracts with project partners design as well as the creation of the project management process; was responsible for the Master Planning and zoning of ICE District and media and public relations related thereto; responsible for the oversight of the design of public realm spaces in ICE District; was a member of the Management Oversight Committee for the design and construction of the JW Marriott ICE District and Legends Condominiums; and personally oversaw over $1 billion in development.
Robert has particular interest and background in sports and entertainment, having served in various capacities in the industry as an Alternate Governor with the NHL Board of Governors; Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena District; Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corp; and Chief Project Development Officer, Oilers Entertainment Group.
Robert was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2005. He is a former sessional instructor in insurance law at the University of Alberta Law School.
- Board of Directors, Prairie Sky Gondola
- Board of Directors, Edmonton Downtown Business Association
- Member, Downtown Vibrancy Task Force; Winter City Think Tank; Winter City Advisory Board; ONE Edmonton Committee; Celebrate Edmonton Committee; Bicycle Grid Advisory Committee
- Board of Directors, Prairie Sky Gondola Corp.
- Former Sessional Instructor in Insurance Law, University of Alberta Law School
- Alternate Governor, NHL Board of Governors
- Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena District
- Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corp
- Executive Vice President Sports and Entertainment, Katz Group
- Chief Project Development Officer, Oilers Entertainment Group
- Contributor to the Capital City Downtown Plan
- Recognized as one of Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People, People Venture Magazine (2010)
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2005)