Jeff advises clients on business law issues including startup structure, corporate governance, financing, intellectual property protection, and mergers/acquisitions, with a special interest in entrepreneurial and creative companies in the energy and technology industries.
- Negotiation and drafting of transaction and ancillary agreements for a wide range of local and international merger and acquisition transactions, both asset and share deals, in numerous industries
- Negotiation and drafting of many commercial agreements, including partnership and limited partnership agreements, standard energy related contracts, operations and services agreements, license agreements, supply and distribution agreements
- Confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements for intellectual property owners, potential purchasers, independent contractors, employees, consultants and agents
- Employment agreements, consulting agreements for consultants and principals, and service agreements
- Corporate policies and structure, unanimous shareholder agreements, and related shareholder and corporate governance matters
- Intellectual property strategy and agreements including disclosure, licensing, development, and rights agreements with respect to copyright, trademarks and patents
Jeff’s extensive corporate transactions experience includes mergers and acquisitions through asset and share sales and numerous commercial agreements such as transactional agreements, partnership and limited partnership agreements, consulting agreements for consultants and principals, corporate governance including unanimous shareholder agreements and related shareholder matters, and license, production and development agreements. He advises his clients on corporate finance and strategy, including the protection of their intellectual property assets such as copyright, trademarks and patents, predominantly related to technology focused companies in the energy and natural resources sectors but also including many owner operated and private businesses in other industries, from engineering and property development to entertainment.
Jeff believes that long-term relationships based on trust and mutual respect are the cornerstones of a successful practice. He takes a pragmatic approach and uses the firm’s diverse resources to help his clients achieve their goals. His clear communication and balanced assessment of legal issues and business risks produce effective solutions. Jeff’s clients consider him a trusted adviser, offering oversight and guidance on legal and professional services with a creative and solution-focused approach to their business goals.
Jeff has led seminars on the duties and liabilities of corporate directors, legal issues for artists, and corporate structuring for private companies. He developed and operated his own business prior to his legal career. He has also spent time as in-house counsel at major multinational companies.
Jeff continues to draw upon his artistic training by volunteering photography services to local organizations and often donates art to charitable fundraising events.
- Coach, community football and baseball
- Volunteer photographer, local sports organizations and charities
- Leadership participation in student governments, University of Calagary and Alberta College of Art & Design
- Founding director, Exposure Photography Festival in Banff/Canmore/Calgary
- Seminar presenter, “Duties and Liabilities of Directors and Officers,” Canadian Board Diversity Council (2013-2016)
- Seminar co-presenter, “A practical Guide to Title Review and Acquisitions,” Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen (2011-2013)
- Seminar presenter, “Fiduciary Duties,” Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen (2008-2010)
- Co-author, “Recent Judicial Developments of Interest to Energy Lawyers,” Alberta Law Review, Petroleum Law Edition, Vol 48 No. 2 (December 2010)
- Author, “Is It Time to Stop All This Intermingling? When mixing of funds becomes an issue for partners,” The Negotiator (November 2009)
- Seminar presenter, “Legal Issues for Artists,” Alberta College of Art & Design (2009-2016)