John Dipple leads the MLT Aikins construction and infrastructure practice area and has extensive experience providing strategic advice on major construction and infrastructure projects. He also leads our procurement practice area.
- Counsel to major potash producers related to the construction of new greenfield projects including both underground and surface facilities, port handling facilities and major expansion projects.
- Counsel to public utility on construction of various power generation projects and transmission line construction project.
- Counsel to EPC Contractor on the construction of a major oil trans-loading facility.
- Counsel to a First Nation on the construction of a courthouse and multi-purpose facility.
- Acted for health-care organizations and educational institutions on the development and construction of various health-care facilities and education facilities.
- Counsel to municipality on procurement and construction of a major sport and entertainment facility.
- Acted for Airport Authority on several air terminal building and runway expansion projects.
- Advised Canadian manufacturer on the development and negotiation of project agreement to supply a pipe processing facility to Saudi Arabia.
- Advised North American steel manufacturer on development and construction of two U.S. steel mills.
- Counsel to producer-owned grain terminal on financing and construction of ethanol plant.
- Counsel to numerous public and private sector organizations in the development of standardized procurement documents and contracts.
- Advised public sector organization on development of corporate governance model, documentation and practices.
John has had extensive involvement with the development and construction of major industrial facilities and public infrastructure projects in Canada and the United States. He has experience with a wide range of project delivery structures and regularly helps clients evaluate the risks and benefits of implementing those structures, including on EPC and EPCM projects, design-build and design-bid-build projects, construction management projects, and on public-private partnerships and alternative delivery structures. With 30 years of experience in construction and infrastructure projects, John is able to assist clients to effectively plan for and execute their projects from conception to completion.
In the public sector, John acts for crown corporations, public sector utilities, municipal governments, educational institutions, health organizations, airport authorities and other public organizations. In the industrial and resource sectors, he acts for international mining companies, industrial contractors, steel manufacturers and industrial equipment manufacturers. John has also acted for commercial property developers and equipment dealerships.
John has extensive experience assisting public sector organizations in navigating through the maze of procurement rules and practices. He regularly advises municipal governments and public sector organizations on designing and implementing effective procurement strategies and standardized procurement documents.
In his general corporate/commercial practice, John advises a variety of public and private sector organizations on corporate governance and compliance matters, and has acted as general counsel for a number of organizations, providing advice on a wide range of matters.
- Co-Chair, Archdiocese of Regina Capital Campaign
- Member of Finance Council, Archdiocese of Regina
- Saskatchewan Regional Board Member, Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Past National Board Director and Saskatchewan Regional Board Chair, Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Past Executive Member, National Construction Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Vice-Chair and Audit Committee Chair, Communities of Tomorrow: Innovation for Real Life
- “Getting Your Processes and Contracts Ready of Prompt Payment and Mandatory Adjudication,” MLT Aikins Client Seminar
- “CFTA Compliance and Strategies for Effective Evaluations,” MLT Aikins Client Seminar
- “Planning Your Next Construction Project Procurement,” MLT Aikins Client Seminar
- “Mandatory Requirements Case Study,” MLT Aikins Client Seminar
- “Public Procurement Practices to Avoid a Lawsuit,” Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Annual Convention
- “Procurement Law Workshop,” Saskatchewan Industrial & Mining Suppliers’ Association
- “Introduction to Public-Private Partnership Project Delivery,” Prince Albert & District Chamber of Commerce P3 Conference
- “Competitive Bidding, Contracts and Contract Management,” Supply Chain Management Association of Saskatchewan
- “Effectively/Controlling Risk During the Pre-Tender Stage,” The Canadian Institute Construction Superconference
- “Using Negotiations in the Bidding Process,” The Canadian Institute Negotiating Construction Contracts
- “Procurement and the Law of Competitive Bidding – Managing the Risks,” Canadian Bar Association Saskatchewan Branch Mid-Winter Meeting
- “New West Partnership Trade Agreement and Public Sector Procurement,” Canadian Bar Association Saskatchewan Branch Mid-Winter Meeting
- “Excelling as Corporate Counsel,” Canadian Corporate Counsel Association Spring Training Camp
- “Exploring Public-Private Partnerships,” Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Annual Convention
- “Off-Balance Sheeting Financing: Considerations in Documenting an Outsourcing Service Agreement,” Canadian Corporate Counsel Association Annual Meeting
- Lawyer of the Year, Corporate Law, Best Lawyers (Regina, 2020)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Construction Law, Corporate Law (since 2011), Public Procurement Law (2022)
- Leading construction lawyer in Lexpert Infrastructure Guide
- A leading practitioner, Construction, Corporate Commercial, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – “BV Peer Review Rated”