Julie Shepherd practises civil litigation with an emphasis on the areas of commercial, construction and insurance disputes.
- Counsel to officer and director in defence of shareholder oppression claim.
- Counsel to oil and gas investor in claim against directors for breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully represented homeowner in litigation against a builder for breach of contract.
- Successfully represented employer in litigation against its insurer for breach of warranty.
- Represented twenty-four investors in litigation against former directors of real estate companies for fraud.
- Represented employer in litigation against former employees for breach of restrictive covenants.
Julie has represented a broad range of clients including owners, contractors, manufacturers, architectural and engineering firms in contractual and workmanship disputes.
She regularly advises on construction contracts and builders’ lien matters.
She has extensive court appearance and has represented clients at trial in both Provincial Court and the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Julie has also successfully resolved construction matters through alternative forms of dispute resolution including arbitration and mediation.
- Executive Member, Alberta Trial Lawyers Association (2015-present)
- Executive Member, Civil Litigation Section, Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch (2015-present)
- Sponsorship and Mock Trial Coordinator, Alberta Law Day (2014-present)
- Member, The Advocates’ Society (2013-present)
- Alberta Provincial Court – Small Claims Duty Counsel (2012-2014)
- Executive Member, Young Lawyers’ Section, Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch (2012-2014)
- Coordinated an employment related mock trial, Alberta Law Day (April 2016)
- “Proactive Steps to Avoid Litigation,” MLT Human Resources Professionals Seminar (March 2016)