Kimberly Burns is an experienced corporate lawyer, practising in our blockchain technology group, securities, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Structuring and advising a private equity fund investing in blockchain technology.
- Advising a renewable energy resource business on global investments and royalty streaming.
- A 2017 reverse-takeover on the TSX-V for an international mining group.
- A plan of arrangement under the CBCA merging two public companies in a transaction valued at $3.5 billion.
- Assisting a publicly-traded asset management company with approximately $10 billion in assets under management in its acquisition of a U.S. public company in a transaction valued at US$411 million.
- The commercial purchase and financing of an NHL franchise and arena.
- The creation of an income trust with a market capitalization of approximately $900 million.
- Acting for various purchasers and vendors in numerous share and asset purchase transactions involving a wide variety of industries and primarily private companies.
- Acting for various companies on a number of internal reorganizations, including reorganizations involving the transfer of assets valued, on average, between US$50 million and US$100 million, and the formation of various corporate entities in Canada and the U.S.
Kimberly’s technology practice focuses on emerging blockchain technology businesses, including private equity investing, initial coin offerings, tokenization of products, and regulatory advice. Kimberly draws upon her experience with securities regulators and public mergers and acquisitions to advise in the emerging blockchain and cryptocurrency markets, believing that law and regulation can adapt to facilitate the tokenization of markets and commerce in Canada.
As part of our blockchain technology group, Kimberly publishes weekly insights on the industry. Join the blockchain distribution list to receive insights in your inbox.
Her general corporate practice focuses on public and private mergers and acquisitions, commercial agreements, corporate governance and corporate restructurings. She has extensive experience with business structuring, board governance, and partnering agreements. Kimberly also has experience with renewable energy investment and purchase agreements, royalty streaming and agreements, public offerings and exempt placements, joint venture and transaction structuring, corporate finance, leveraged buyouts, takeovers, cross-border transactions, corporate-planning advisory services, secured transactions, asset securitizations and franchising agreements.