Mahdi Shams acts for both public and private companies and has worked on a broad range of domestic and international transactions, including public offerings, public and private mergers and acquisitions, commercial sale agreements, debt and equity financings, private placements, and corporate reorganizations.
- Legal counsel for a significant agribusiness company in a joint venture project at a major port terminal in British Columbia.
- Counsel to NetApp, Inc. on its acquisition of Bycast Inc., a privately-held company developer of object-based storage virtualization software.
- Counsel to Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (formerly Ivanplats Limited) on its $509 million Initial Public Offering (including pre-IPO bonds) on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Acted on secondary listing of a Canadian mining company on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and a related equity financing valued at $410 million.
- Counsel to Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc. on its acquisition of Terrane Metals Corp by way of court-approved plan of arrangement for consideration of US$700 million.
- Counsel to Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc. on its sale of 25% of the life of mine gold production from the Mt. Milligan Copper Gold Project for $310 million.
- Multiple equity offerings for a Canadian public mining company listed on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges.
- Counsel to Ivanhoe Energy Inc. on the sale of its subsidiary, Pan-China Resources Ltd., to MIE Holdings Corporation for US$45 million.
- Counsel to Ivanhoe Australia Limited (dual listed on Australian Securities Exchange) on its secondary listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
In addition to transactional work, Mahdi advises public issuers on continuous disclosure obligations, governance and general corporate law matters. He is fluent in French and Farsi and has an intermediate level of Spanish.