Mandi Deren-Dubé is a litigator who focuses on corporate and commercial disputes, employment advising and employment disputes, and commercial insolvency matters.
Mandi advises and represents businesses with all types of disputes, including but not limited to breaches of contract; employment issues; fraud, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty investigations and claims; shareholder disputes; and commercial debt collections and foreclosure matters. She takes a practical and results-based approach to solving problems for her clients.
Her insolvency and restructuring practice consists of representing secured and unsecured creditors with realizations and enforcement of security. She also assists companies in financial distress and represents shareholders and directors of insolvent corporations in navigating the insolvency process, including by defending claims against directors and officers and advising regarding shareholder disputes.
Mandi advises clients in all sectors on employment issues, including developing employment contracts and workplace policies, advising regarding disciplinary issues, and defending against wrongful dismissal claims and allegations of improper conduct. Mandi also has experience with independent workplace investigations.
Mandi has experience with applications for preservation of property and interim relief; she has represented clients before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court of Alberta; and she has resolved disputes through litigation as well as mediation and judicial dispute resolution.
With a commerce degree and past management experience in the oil and gas and transportation industries, Mandi brings a strong business background and in depth knowledge of various industries to her legal practice.
- Volunteer, Queen’s Bench Amicus Project, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Member, Creditor and Debtor law section and Labour and Employment Law section, Canadian Bar Association
- Deans’ honours list, Alberta School of Business (2010-2013)
- Louise McKinney Scholarship for Exceptional Academic Achievement (2012)
- Jason Lang Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2011)
- University of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2011)
- Isabel Munroe Smith Memorial Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2010)
- Deans’ honours list, Faculty of Arts (2009-2010)