Mandi Deren-Dubé is a litigator who focuses on corporate and commercial disputes, secured and unsecured credit enforcement, and commercial insolvency matters. Mandi also has experience conducting independent workplace investigations.
Mandi advises and represents businesses with all types of disputes, including but not limited to breaches of contract; commercial lease disputes and other real property disputes; employment issues; fraud, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty investigations and claims; shareholder disputes; and commercial debt collections and foreclosure matters. She takes a practical and results-based approach to solving problems for her clients.
Her insolvency and restructuring practice consists of representing secured and unsecured creditors with realizations and enforcement of security. She also assists companies in financial distress and represents shareholders and directors of insolvent corporations in navigating the insolvency process, including by defending claims against directors and officers and advising regarding shareholder disputes.
Mandi has experience with emergency and urgent applications such as injunctions, preservation of property orders, receivership applications, and other types of interim relief. She has represented clients before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court of Alberta, and she has resolved disputes through litigation as well as mediation and judicial dispute resolution.
Mandi also has significant experience conducting independent workplace investigations. She has assisted clients with the investigation of allegations ranging from specific complaints about a single individual or instance, to high-profile, high stakes allegations by multiple complainants of a culture of workplace violence and harassment, a hostile work environment, and systemic discrimination. Mandi is an objective and fact-based investigator who prides herself on being sensitive, discreet and impartial.
With a commerce degree and past management experience in the oil and gas and transportation industries, Mandi brings a strong business background and in depth knowledge of various industries to her legal practice.
- Volunteer, Queen’s Bench Amicus Project, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Member, Creditor and Debtor law section and Labour and Employment Law section, Canadian Bar Association
- Deans’ honours list, Alberta School of Business (2010-2013)
- Louise McKinney Scholarship for Exceptional Academic Achievement (2012)
- Jason Lang Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2011)
- University of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2011)
- Isabel Munroe Smith Memorial Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2010)
- Deans’ honours list, Faculty of Arts (2009-2010)