Maurice is a senior partner in our litigation group practicing out of our Regina office. His focus is on dispute resolution through the Courts or arbitration involving all manner of disputes including commercial, construction, insurance, class actions, estates, trusts and general litigation. He is recognized as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in these fields by the foremost legal ranking directories.
- Chief Counsel to a Saskatchewan Government appointed Inquiry into the affairs of the R.M. of Sherwood No. 159.
- Merck Frosst Canada Ltd. v. Wuttunee, 2009 SKCA 43, successfully opposing a grant of certification involving the prescription drug Vioxx; leave to appeal to Supreme Court of Canada denied 22 October 2009.
- Directed successful constitutional challenges to the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) Act in 14 Canadian jurisdictions in Federation of Law Societies of Canada v. Canada (Attorney General) to the provisions requiring lawyers to report “suspicious transactions.”
- UMA/B&V Ltd. et al. v. SaskPower International et al., 2007 SKQB 40, 2007 SKCA 40, 2007 CanLII 40508 (S.C.C.). Successfully representing the owner in a trial lasting 18 months on a question of the limits of a professional service firm’s contractual liability in the construction of a power co-generation plant at a mine.
- D.W. v. Attorney General of Canada and William Starr, 1999 SKQB 187, the successful prosecution of the first Residential School Abuse Trial in Canada.
Maurice has presented successful in many hundreds of cases before all levels of courts, boards and tribunals in Saskatchewan and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has been regularly named one of Canada’s Leading 500 Lawyers by Lexpert / American Lawyer Media.
- Former Chair, Manitoba/Saskatchewan, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Former President, Federation of Law Societies of Canada (2001-2002)
- Former President, Law Society of Saskatchewan (1999)
- Author, “The Regulatory Framework,” Canadian Legal Practice, Lexis-Nexis (2015)
- Frequent lecturer in the area of civil litigation at bar admission and CLE courses
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubble – “AV Peer Review Rated”
- One of Benchmark Canada’s “Litigation Stars” – Class Actions, Insurance, General Commercial
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – “Bet-the-Company” Litigation, Class Action Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law (since 2006)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in the Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory – Professional Liability, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Commercial Insurance Litigation, Personal Injury
- Member of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (1996)