Michael Tochor has practised for more than 30 years in administrative, regulatory and criminal law matters. He has been recognized annually in Best Lawyers in Canada since 2008.
- Rault v. Law Society of Saskatchewan, (2009) 331 Sask.R. 160, successfully challenging a professional disciplinary body which refused to accept a joint submission made by the respective parties.
- Counsel for the Province of Saskatchewan on the North Battleford Water Inquiry (2001).
- Counsel for Appellant in Miazga v. Kvello Estate, 2009 SCR 51, a groundbreaking successful appeal overturning a judgment for malicious prosecution.
Michael has extensive involvement in administrative and public law matters. He has acted on behalf of various provincial licensing and regulatory bodies and for a number of clients appearing before professional and administrative tribunals. A significant part of his practice involves representing clients on investigations and charges under The Occupational Health and Safety Act.
He also has significant criminal trial and appellate experience that includes both jury and non-jury trials. Michael has appeared before Saskatchewan Courts and tribunals, the Federal Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has published and presented extensively on criminal law issues for periodicals and legal education seminars.
Michael was Chair of the Saskatchewan Police Commission from 2002 to 2008. The Commission oversees all municipal police forces in the province as well as the operation of the Saskatchewan Police College, and hears appeals on police discipline matters.
- Board Member (2014-2015), Chair (2016), Wascana Country Club
- Chair, Saskatchewan Police Commission (2002-2008)
- Lecturer and Faculty Member, National Criminal Law Program (2000-present)
- “Searching for Truth but Missing the Point,” Alberta Law Review 333 at 40 (2002)
- “Criminal Practice and Procedure,” Saskatchewan Bar Admission Course (1998-2002)
- “Defence Disclosure: Is it Written in Stone?”, Criminal Law Quarterly 393 at 43 (2000)
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Administrative and Public Law, Criminal Defence (since 2008)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – “BV Peer Review Rated”
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2004)