Penny Yeager's practice focuses on mining, construction and business law, much of it working with mining companies. Penny’s transactional experience with resource companies includes joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and marketing and transportation arrangements.
- Competition Counsel for merger of Rubicon Pharmacies Canada and Amenity Holding Inc.
- Ongoing legal adviser for one of the world’s largest potash producers.
- Lead counsel for a significant potash company in the negotiation and finalization of a Potash Unit Agreement with more than 200 mineral owners, which agreement will likely be active for 100 years or more.
- Saskatchewan counsel for the acquisition by Yancoal Resources Co., Ltd. of 19 potash exploration permits for aggregate consideration of $260 million, and provision of ongoing legal advice to Yancoal.
- Negotiation and drafting of numerous joint venture agreements in the uranium sector.
- Provided review and advice regarding proposed significant amendments to Saskatchewan mineral legislation.
- Saskatchewan local counsel for HudBay Minerals Inc. on a $1.5 billion investment to fund the development and construction of its Constancia copper mine in Peru.
- Saskatchewan counsel to HudBay Minerals Inc. on an equity offering of 20,930,000 of its common shares for gross proceeds of approximately $172.6 million.
- Counsel for a client on its construction expansion project at a major port terminal.
- Ongoing construction and procurement advice for clients in both the public and private sectors.
- Competition Act counsel for Prairie West Terminal Ltd. on the sale of all of its outstanding shares to Canadian Wheat Board.
- Competition Act counsel for Weyburn Inland Terminals Ltd., in the sale of all of its outstanding shares to Parrish & Heimbecker, Limited.
- Competition Act counsel for Federated Co-operatives Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of 17 agri-retail outlets from Viterra Inc.
Penny has a comprehensive understanding of Saskatchewan’s mining regime. She also assists companies by negotiating and drafting contracts for construction projects and the procurement of goods and services, in both the private and public sectors.
Her potash-related work includes negotiating land purchases and sales, storage and distribution agreements, and a unitization agreement. She is also experienced in potash royalty matters, and conducting extensive due diligence examinations. Penny assists companies with surface land acquisitions and with mineral dispute resolution matters.
Her corporate practice also includes Competition Act matters.
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Member, Women in Mining (Saskatchewan Branch)
- Editorial Committee Member, CBA BarNotes (2007-2010)
- Presentation to the Board of Directors of Concrete Saskatchewan on Competition Act Compliance (January 2017)
- “The Interplay Between Oil and Gas, and Potash,” Oil and Gas Update Seminar, Law Society of Saskatchewan (2014)
- Lecturer in Natural Resources Law, University of Saskatchewan, College of Law (2013, 2014)
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Mining Law (since 2014)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers – Mining, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory