Richard is a partner who practises primarily in the area of securities law, with corporate and commercial transactional practice and an emphasis on the strategic use of Manitoba limited partnerships.
- Privatization of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (counsel to province of Manitoba)
- Substantial issuer, bid and normal course issuer – Bids of Manitoba telecom Services Inc.
- Medium term note program of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc.
- Public offerings of preferred and common shares of The Great-West Life Assurance Company
Richard acts as Manitoba counsel in multi-jurisdictional public offerings being made in Manitoba. He represents issuers and dealers in public offerings of equity and debt securities. Richard has acted in the creation of mutual funds, and has represented portfolio managers and advisers. He provides securities law and governance advice to public companies and assists them in their ongoing annual meeting and continuous disclosure requirements.
- Chair, The Winnipeg Art Gallery Foundation Inc.
- National Board Member, Canadian Friends of the Israel Museum
- Member, Board of Directors, Jewish Foundation of Manitoba; Chair, Governance and Nominating Committee
- Chair, Board of Governors, the Winnipeg Art Gallery (1998-2005)
- Member, Board of Directors, Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre
- Public Member, Manitoba District Council, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC)
- Public Representative, Prairie Regional Council, Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA)
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Chair, Securities Law Subsection, Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Presents regularly across Canada on the strategic use of Manitoba limited partnerships
- Sessional Lecturer, University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law – Negotiation
- Judge, University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law – Annual Negotiation Competition
- Seminar leader and examiner, The Law Society of Manitoba Bar Admission Course – Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Secretary, Working Committee D (Fund Governance and Conflicts of Interest) established by the Ontario Securities Commission to respond to the Stromberg Recommendations for Regulating Investment Funds in Canada
- “Industry Democracy: A Study of the Bullock Report and its Applicability to Canada”, Manitoba Law Journal (1979)
- Recognized consistently by Best Lawyers in the areas of both Corporate Law and Securities Law – named Winnipeg Securities Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2017 & 2019)
- Named by Lexpert Directory as a Leading Lawyer in Corporate Finance and Securities Law
- Paul David Russell Prize, University of Manitoba (Philosophy)