Bob Black is the lead of the firm’s Edmonton litigation group. He has more than 25 years of experience as a litigator, handling all manner of complex matters.
Bob is an experienced litigator with an extensive background in development and construction and a long and accomplished history of managing a broad range of high profile and complex matters. He has appeared before all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Bob has expertise in municipal planning, public private partnerships, economic development and tourism.
Bob has developed much cherished relationships with Northern Alberta Indigenous leaders and is passionate about advancing Indigenous causes. Bob is actively engaged in of a wide variety of Indigenous areas, including nation building initiatives; economic development; experiential tourism; Indigenous gaming; rights based claims; and litigation.
Prior to joining MLT Aikins, Bob served 10 years as the Executive Vice President Sports and Entertainment for the Katz Group of companies where his primary role was to manage the continued development of the company’s sports and entertainment business, including the development of a sports and entertainment district in downtown Edmonton. In this role he: acted as a member of the Negotiating Committee for the successful public private partnership between the Katz Group and the City of Edmonton for the funding and construction of Rogers Place arena, home of the Edmonton Oilers; was the Katz Group and Oilers Entertainment Group lead representative on the Project Leadership Team which was responsible for all aspects of the design and construction of Rogers Place; led the negotiation of all major contracts with project partners and oversaw the creation and implementation of the project management process which delivered Rogers Place on time and on budget; was responsible for the Master Planning and zoning of ICE District; played a leadership role in media and public relations related to Rogers Place and ICE District; was responsible for the oversight of the design of public realm spaces in ICE District; and was a member of the Management Oversight Committee for the design and construction of the JW Marriott ICE District. Bob has played a leadership role on behalf of ownership in the oversight of over $1 billion in development which has served to revitalize the downtown core of Edmonton.
Bob is greatly inspired by city building initiatives that will make Edmonton a better place to live for its resident and enhance Edmonton’s position on the global stage as a place to invest, build corporate head offices and reinforce it a year round destination for tourism.
Bob has considerable experience advising owners and developers on the development, preparation and administration of procurement process including drafting process documents, evaluating contracts, standard definitions and prescribed forms, negotiating bespoke contractual documents as well as managing bid processes and successful negotiations with procurement process participants. He has advised on some of Western Canada’s most complex and high-profile procurement projects involving multiple stakeholders.
Bob has particular interest and background in sports and entertainment, having served in various capacities in the industry including as an Alternate Governor with the NHL Board of Governors; Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena District; Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corp; and Chief Project Development Officer, Oilers Entertainment Group.
Bob was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2005. He is a former sessional instructor in insurance law at the University of Alberta Law School.
- Board of Directors, Prairie Sky Gondola
- Board of Directors, Edmonton Downtown Business Association
- Co-chair, Downtown Recovery Task Force
- Member, Downtown Vibrancy Task Force; Winter City Think Tank; Winter City Advisory Board; ONE Edmonton Committee; Celebrate Edmonton Committee; Bicycle Grid Advisory Committee
- Former Sessional Instructor in Insurance Law, University of Alberta Law School
- Alternate Governor, NHL Board of Governors
- Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena District
- Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corp
- Executive Vice President Sports and Entertainment, Katz Group
- Chief Project Development Officer, Oilers Entertainment Group
- Contributor to the Capital City Downtown Plan
- City of Saskatoon Arena District Planning & Arena Site Selection, Early Stage-stage Analysis
- Recognized as one of Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People, People Venture Magazine (2010)
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2005)