Ron Hansford focuses on commercial matters involving companies in the renewable energy, electricity, and oil and gas sectors.
- Negotiated permits, licences and agreements related to the acquisition of petroleum and natural gas rights in Kazakhstan and Russia.
- Negotiation of acquisition of Russian oil and gas company for U.S. and Cyprus based entities.
- Negotiation of various permits, licenses and agreements for the acquisition of petroleum and natural gas rights in Russia.
- Negotiation of manufacturing agreement with Chinese manufacturer.
- Purchase of Canadian Seismic Ship for India company, flagged in Panama.
- Land acquisition, regulatory permitting, licensing, financing and turbine procurement for a wind power projects in Southern Alberta ranging in size from 12 MW to 350 MW.
- Land acquisition and regulatory permitting of a 77 MW wind power project in Southern Alberta.
- $40 mm structured financing for a 63 MW Alberta wind power project.
- Land acquisition and regulatory permitting of a 12 MW wind power project in Southern Alberta.
- $163 million sale of a 140 MW wind power project.
- Land acquisition and regulatory permitting of a 350 MW and a 200 MW wind power project in Southern Alberta.
- Purchase of a 150 MW wind power project and sale of a 75 MW wind power project in Central Alberta.
- Negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction agreement with French supplier for a wind power project in Chile.
- Various development authority and subdivision and development appeal board hearings relating to wind power projects.
- Negotiation of various electric supply and backstop agreements with utility companies for major chemical manufacturer.
- Counsel to private Alberta oil and gas company (5000 bode).
- Counsel to utility involved in all aspects of the engineering, procurement, construction and financing of 20 MW power generation facilities.
Ron advises emerging and established domestic and international energy companies on financing, regulatory and commercial issues as well as aboriginal and governmental relations. He has appeared as counsel before numerous regulatory boards, including the National Energy Board, Energy Resources Conservation Board and the Alberta Utilities Commission as well as the Alberta Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Ron joins MLT Aikins from the Calgary office of a major national law firm, bringing more than 30 years of experience working with legal issues in the energy sector. Early in his legal career he was counsel to the Alberta Energy Resources Conservation Board, advising on statutory interpretation and jurisdictional matters, drafting legislation and appearing at hearings related to pipelines, power plants, transmission lines, oil sands development, and oil and gas facilities.
- Patent and Trademark Institute of Canada
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Contributor, The Electricity Industry in Canada, Carswell (2011)
- Conference speaker, Introduction to Canadian Energy Regulation, EUCI (2011)
- Former instructor, administrative practice and procedure, Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Former lecturer, regulatory practice and procedure, Faculty of Law, University of Calgary