Steve Robertson is a senior Corporate Finance & Securities practitioner, focused on publicly traded natural resource issuers. He has extensive experience advising on corporate governance, listing maintenance, and continuous disclosure matters.
Represented a Toronto and New York Stock Exchange-listed Canadian mining company in connection with:
- its $270 million initial public offering and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX); its four subsequent “bought deal” financings aggregating $445 million, an aggregate of $60 million of institutional private placements in Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia and Australia, and their subsequent qualification for resale in Canada; its listing on the Australian Stock Exchange (the first full interlisting of a Canadian public company on the ASX); its listing on NASDAQ and its subsequent listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
- the acquisition of mineral interests and production of copper and gold through joint ventures with government entities in Kazakhstan and Myanmar and iron ore in Australia, through mineral joint ventures with government entities in the People’s Republic of China, through a corporate mineral joint venture in three provinces of China, and in Indonesia, Thailand, South Korea and Vietnam.
- its $43 million acquisition of a privately held Australian iron-ore company.
- the acquisition of mineral and royalty interests in the Republic of Mongolia, and all matters relating to the progression of Oyu Tolgoi, the world’s largest undeveloped copper-gold resource project, in the South Gobi region of Mongolia, from the development stage to production.
- the negotiation of a strategic alliance with one of the world’s leading mining groups to finance and jointly manage the development of the Mongolian copper-gold project, including its initial US$1.5 billion equity investment in the Canadian company, its subsequent US$1.8 billion and US$1.5 billion interim funding facilities, its guarantee of up to US$4 billion of project financing, and its participation in two of the largest rights offerings in Canadian history (US$1.18 billion and $1.8 billion);
- the acquisition of the company by an international mining group, including all corporate, securities and related litigation matters.
Represented a TSX-listed Canadian mining company in connection with:
- the acquisition, exploration and development of the Voisey’s Bay nickel-cobalt-copper project in Labrador, one of the most substantial mineral discoveries in Canadian history and now the world’s second largest nickel producer.
- a $108 million private placement of common shares by a major TSX-listed Canadian mining company, including a technical co-operation agreement to assist in the development of the project.
- a $550 million equity-based acquisition of a minority interest in the project by a major Toronto and New York Stock Exchange-listed Canadian mining company.
- its $4.3 billion acquisition by the Toronto and New York Stock Exchange-listed Canadian mining company, including all corporate, securities and related matters in Canada and the United States.
Represented a TSX-listed Canadian mining company in connection with its sale of its coal division to a TSX Venture Exchange-listed Canadian mining company, and represented the TSX Venture Exchange-listed company in connection with:
- all matters relating to the exploration of mineral properties in the Republic of Mongolia and the development of a major coal project in the South Gobi region to production.
- its $15 million initial public offering on the TSX Venture Exchange, its graduation to The Toronto Stock Exchange, its issuance of US$500 million of senior secured convertible debentures to the sovereign wealth fund of the People’s Republic of China (including a co-operation agreement to assist in the continuing development of the company’s coal projects in the Republic of Mongolia), its $459 million global equity offering and its secondary listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (the first interlisting of a Canadian mining company on the HKSE and the first listing on the exchange by any Canadian company in conjunction with a stock offering).
- Represented a Canadian private company in connection with the development of its platinum properties in the Republic of South Africa, the acquisition and development of its copper properties in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and its $300 million initial public offering on the TSX.
- Represented a TSX-listed Canadian mining company in connection with its negotiation of a joint venture with one of the world’s leading mining groups in respect of a diamond exploration and development project in Nunavut.
- Represented a Canadian private venture capital company in connection with the acquisition, exploration and development of interest in various mineral properties in Myanmar, Indonesia, Mongolia and Venezuela, and the acquisition of joint venture interests (industrial minerals), Liaoning Province, People’s Republic of China.
- Represented a Canadian private company in its acquisition of various mineral properties in Argentina and its subsequent listing on the TSX Venture exchange by way of a reverse takeover.
As a senior Corporate Finance & Securities practitioner, Steve Robertson focuses on natural resource issuers, principally in mining and oil and gas sectors. He also acts for emerging growth companies and venture capital firms making equity investments in public and private technology businesses.
Steve has assisted several Toronto Stock Exchange, New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq-listed Canadian issuers with international acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other commercial arrangements involving mineral exploration and mining projects in Mongolia, China, Myanmar, Australia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Armenia, the United States and Canada. He also advises inter-listed public companies with respect to the special continuous disclosure compliance obligations under Canadian law applicable to cross-border issuers.
Steve has extensive experience with corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, public and private equity and debt financing transactions, and Canadian and foreign stock exchange listings and has participated in numerous cross-border and international corporate finance and merger transactions. He advises and assists enterprises of all sizes with corporate governance, listing maintenance, and continuous disclosure matters.
- Chair, Board of Directors, Documentary Media Society of British Columbia (2011-2014)
- “Negotiating Preliminary Agreements,” 2nd Mining Agreements Course (Federated Press, 2014)
- “Between a Rock and a Hard Place – Mining Disclosure Demystified,” Multi-disciplinary Public Panel Presentation (2014)
- “Canadian Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects – National Instrument 43-101” (client workshop)
- “Public M&A Transactions in Canada” (client workshop)
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Mergers & Acquisitions, Mining Law, Securities Law (since 2015)
- Lexis-Nexis/Martindale-Hubbell – “BV Peer Review Rated”