Ted practises in the area of civil litigation, focusing on professional regulation, commercial litigation, commercial and labour arbitration, and insurance matters.
Ted has a litigation practice, with particular emphasis in the areas of commercial litigation, administrative and public law, arbitration and insurance law. His commercial litigation experience includes matters arising out of large-scale construction projects, corporate shareholder disputes, commercial real estate disputes, injunctive proceedings arising out of misuse of confidential information, restrictive covenants and competition by former key employees.
Ted focuses on professional regulation and professional negligence in administrative and public law. Ted acts for a number of self-governing professional associations in the capacity of panel counsel and prosecuting counsel. He provides professional regulators with advice on a wide range of issues concerning governance, policy and procedure. He offers strategic advice and litigation counsel to help clients manage risk in their operations.
Ted serves as an arbitrator, providing private arbitration and mediation, primarily in labour and commercial disputes.
His experience in insurance matters includes first- and third-party claims and coverage issues in a wide range of areas, including property and casualty, professional liability claims, directors and officers liability, construction and aviation.
Select Court of Appeal Decisions
- Middelkoop v. Canada Safeway Limited, 2000 MBCA 62
- Skyward Resources Ltd. et al. v. Cessna Aircraft Co., 2007 MBCA 3
- 2438667 Manitoba Ltd. et al. v. Husky Oil Limited et al., 2007 MBCA 77
- Telecommunication Employees Association of Manitoba Inc. et al. v. Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. et al., 2007 MBCA 85
Select Queen’s Bench Decisions
- Pankratz Farms Ltd. v. Peak of the Market Sales Ltd., 2017 MBQB 44
- Manitoba Securities Commission v. Crocus Investment Fund, 2012 MBQB 282
- Skyward Resources Ltd. et al v. The Cessna Aircraft Company, 2005 MBQB 158
- Maple Leaf Foods Inc. v. Butler, 2002 MBQB 82
- Pine Ridge Golf Club v Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada et al, 2002 MBQB 152
- Manitoba Adviser, Supreme Court Advocacy Institute (2013-present)
- Chair, Main Street Project Capital Campaign (2018-present)
- Chair, Board of Governors, University of Manitoba (2016-2017)
- Board of Governors, University of Manitoba (2010-2017)
- Member, Board of Directors (1999-2010), Past President (2006-2008), Manitoba Chamber Orchestra
- President (2015), Vice President (2014), Bencher (2009-2017), Law Society of Manitoba
- Member and/or Past Member of various Law Society of Manitoba Committees: Practice and Ethics, Admissions and Education, Discipline (Chair), Professional Liability Claims Fund, Investment, President’s Special Committee on Elections
- Member, Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench Committee on Electronic Discovery (2009-2011)
- Member-at-large, National Insurance Sub-section, Canadian Bar Association (2006-2008)
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Organizer, speaker and presenter on topics of legal interest at various conferences and seminars hosted by The Law Society of Manitoba, Manitoba Bar Association, University of Manitoba, Canadian Defence Lawyers, Insurance Brokers Association of Manitoba and Claims Insurance Managers of Manitoba
- Lecturer in areas of advocacy, civil procedure and ethics, CPLED Program, The Law Society of Manitoba (1997-2009)
- Sessional Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba (1997-1999)
- Named by Best Lawyers as Lawyer of the Year for Winnipeg in Corporate and Commercial Litigation (2019)
- Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Insurance Law (2016)
- Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Corporate and Commercial Litigation (2015, 2017)
- Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Insurance Law (2013)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for Bet-the-Company Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law
- A leading practitioner, Commercial Insurance Litigation, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- One of Benchmark Canada’s “Litigation Stars” – General Commercial, Insurance, Labour and Employment