Teresa Holmes is an articling student in the firm’s Edmonton office.
Teresa obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Alberta in 2021. She summered with MLT Aikins in 2019 and in 2020 summered at the Centre for Constitutional Studies. During law school, she worked as a volunteer for the Centre of Constitutional studies and was also a caseworker for the Student Legal Services of Edmonton. Her legal areas of interest are environmental and constitutional litigation.
Prior to law school, she completed a Master of Arts in Anthropology and a Bachelor of Science in primatology. Teresa has extensive research background and experience, particularly in data collection, analysis and interpretation. Her research took her to the emote tropical forests of Costa Rica and Ghana, to world-class institutions in Germany and the United States. During her master’s research in Ghana, she managed a team of two Canadian undergraduate students and 15 local research assistants.
Teresa received a Sustainability Award for environmental initiative at the University of Calgary and led her team at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise to a World Wildlife Fund-Canada award.
- “Using the Charter to Repair the Damage of Unconstitutional Government Action,” Centre for Constitutional Studies (October 2020)
- “Pouvez-vous dire violation de la Charte? Minority Language Education Rights in Canada,” Centre for Constitutional Studies (September 2020)
- “They’ve Got No Strings: Separation of Powers, Judicial Independence, and the Rule of Law in the Meng Wanzhou Case,” Centre for Constitutional Studies (July 2020)
- “Alberta’s Bill 10: The Return of the King(s)?” Centre for Constitutional Studies (July 2020)
- “Containing a Virus and Government Power: Restrictions on the Federal Response to COVID-19,” Centre for Constitutional Studies (July 2020)
- “Caging the Virus: Is Mandatory Isolation Constitutional?” Centre for Constitutional Studies (July 2020)
- Team Leader, Edmonton Regional Search and Rescue (November 2020-present)
- Ground Searcher, Edmonton Regional Search and Rescue (April 2019-present)
- Law Student Representative, Equality and Respect Committee, University of Alberta Faculty Council (September 2018-April 2021)
- Law Student Representative, Environmental Health and Safety Committee, University of Alberta (April 2019-April 2021)
- USchool Volunteer, Centre for Constitutional Studies, Edmonton, Alberta (January 2019)
- Caseworker, Criminal Law Project, Student Legal Services of Edmonton (October 2018-present)
- K9 Navigator/Ground Searcher, Cochrane Search and Rescue (January 2016-September 2018)
- Gary J Bigg Memorial Award in Law (2021)
- Winner of a Canadian Law Blog Award (“Clawbie”) for Best Blog – as Co-Lead of Team ReconciliAction YEG (2020)
- Graduate Research Scholarship (2009, 2010 Winter 2011, Fall 2011)
- Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship (2010)
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Student Scholarship (2009)
- Jason Lang Scholarship (2005, 2007)
- Jimmie Condon Scholarship for Athletics (2005)