Thomas’s primary areas of practice are commercial litigation and commercial bankruptcy & insolvency. He has extensive experience and success arguing cases on behalf of individuals and corporations at all levels of court in British Columbia.
Thomas is a member of the growing litigation team in the Vancouver office. As an experienced trial lawyer, he has represented clients in a diverse range of legal fields including commercial, insolvency, wills and estates, defamation, strata disputes, construction and insurance.
Thomas understands client needs and creates a tailored approach to each situation. He believes every step in the litigation process must have a purpose and advance the ultimate goal of the client, while ensuring the client feels informed and confident.
A B.C. provincial champion snowboarder in halfpipe and boardercross, Thomas helped co-found the MLT Aikins outdoor/adventure industry group.
- Associate Lawyer, Drysdale Bacon McStravick LLP (2013-2017)
- Solid Holdings Ltd. (Bankruptcy) – Acted as co-counsel to Grant Thornton Limited, court-appointed receiver, in a successful application for bankruptcy order against a debtor company with mining operations in British Columbia and abroad. In a unanimous decision released on June 18, 2019, the British Columbia Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal of Solid Holdings Ltd., thereby affirming the law for a single creditor to obtain a bankruptcy order. (Solid Holdings Ltd. v. Grant Thornton Limited, 2019 BCCA 231)
- Grabhers Last Stand Bison Ranch Ltd. (Receivership) – Acted as co-counsel to a secured creditor in obtaining an order appointing a receiver of the property, assets and undertakings of Grabhers Last Stand Bison Ranch Ltd., which operated a bison farm in northern British Columbia.
- 611802 B.C. Ltd. (Bankruptcy) – Acted as co-counsel to a creditor in a successful application for bankruptcy order against 611802 B.C. Ltd. in respect of a $1-million debt.
- Darcy Pahl (Enforcement) – Acted as co-counsel to a foreign judgment creditor regarding the registration and enforcement of a $19-million judgment.
- Onstar Exploration Ltd. (Bankruptcy) – Acted as co-counsel to a creditor in a successful application for bankruptcy order against Onstar Exploration Ltd. in respect of a $7-million debt.
- 647497 B.C. Ltd (Bankruptcy) – Acted as co-counsel to a creditor in a successful application for bankruptcy order against 647497 B.C. Ltd. in respect of a $500,000 debt.
- Border Express Services Ltd. (Enforcement) – Acted as co-counsel to a foreign judgment creditor regarding the registration and enforcement of a US$1.4-million judgment.
- Acted for individuals in various complex estate matters.
- Represented corporations and individual shareholders in various disputes, including oppression claims.
- Successful mediation of claims including, commercial and property disputes.
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – British Columbia Branch
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Member, St. George’s Old Boys’ Association
- Volunteer, Force of Nature
- “British Columbia Court of Appeal Affirms Law for Single Creditor to Obtain Bankruptcy Order,” Insolvency Insider (August 12, 2019)