Life Sciences & Plant Breeders’ Rights
Our life sciences and plant breeders’ rights team has a depth of experience and expertise in matters impacting the life sciences industry. With team members trained in scientific disciplines ranging from biochemistry to agronomy, we understand the subject matter as well as the pertinent legal issues.
- Counsel to a wide variety of organizations operating in the agricultural and biotechnology industries regarding the intellectual property protection of proprietary seed and chemical products.
- Counsel to numerous ag-biotech and crop input businesses regarding a wide range of commercial matters, including regulatory, licensing, technology commercialization and retailing/distribution issues.
- Counsel to various agricultural and biotechnology industry groups regarding regulatory, compliance and intellectual property management matters impacting members and the industries in which they operate.
- Representation of a wide variety of seed and agricultural biotechnology companies with respect to enforcement of intellectual property rights in seed and proprietary agricultural products before all levels of court.
- Successfully opposed certification of a class action arising from the introduction of genetically modified canola in the landmark case, Hoffman et al. v. Monsanto Canada Inc. and Bayer CropScience Inc., 2007 SKCA 47.
MLT Aikins works with clients in the life sciences industry to help navigate the complex environment surrounding the research, development and commercialization of biotechnologies. Our clients range from innovative start-ups, to producer/member or industry-funded research organizations, to multi-national organizations. We regularly assist our life sciences clients with all aspects of the technology development life cycle, including regulatory affairs, funding arrangements, collaborative research and development, intellectual property protection, and management and exploitation of proprietary technology. Our team also possesses unique expertise regarding the protection and enforcement of intellectual property relating to life sciences and biotechnology, including plant breeders’ rights. In fact, the MLT Aikins IP litigation team was successful in the first action ever brought under Canada’s Plant Breeders’ Rights Act.