John Agioritis defends and challenges Canada Revenue Agency assessments, reassessments and charges in the courts and through other means. John also routinely acts on criminal and regulatory infractions, particularly those laid under environmental, occupational health and safety, and criminal statutes.
- Advising clients on risks and potential gaps in compliance, policies and procedures in respect of obligations under the Competition Act (Canada)
- Providing advice and crisis-readiness services to large multinational clients on search warrant protocols and investigations conducted under the Competition Act (Canada) by the Competition Bureau in Saskatchewan
- Counsel to a Northern Health Region on a four-day coroner’s inquest respecting the death of an inmate in RCMP holding cells in La Ronge, Saskatchewan
- Counsel on challenges to tax assessments under the Income Tax Act
- Corrective remedies – Numerous retainers by corporations and individuals requiring rectification, rescission and equitable relief from Court respecting mistakes and errors in tax-driven transactions
- Numerous retainers as defence counsel to corporations and individuals on tax evasion and related charges under the Income Tax Act
- Numerous retainers as defence counsel on workplace accidents, investigations and charges under The Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993 and The Saskatchewan Employment Act for various entities, ranging from smaller closely held corporations to multinational and publicly traded corporations in the mining and energy industries.
- Defence counsel in respect of charges laid under the Environmental Management and Protection Act, 2002, (Saskatchewan) and Fisheries Act (Canada) in connection with a 24,000-litre diesel spill in a northern Saskatchewan
- Defence counsel to a publicly traded mining corporation in relation to a significant prosecution involving 43 charges laid under the Fisheries Act (Canada) relating to the release of acutely lethal effluent from a mining facility and various water-quality issues
- Defence counsel to a junior exploration company on a prosecution under The Environmental Management Protection Act, 2002, The Clean Air Act and The Forest Resources Management Act involving an unauthorized burn in a northern forest
- Defence counsel to a limited partnership in the Saskatchewan forestry industry in respect of charges under the Forest Resources Management Act (Saskatchewan) and The Litter Control Act (Saskatchewan)
- Defence counsel to individuals charged with breaches of the Environmental Management and Protection Act, 2002 (Saskatchewan) regarding shoreline alterations
- Defence Counsel to a First Nations chief on a significant fraud prosecution related to alleged misuse of Treaty Land Entitlement funds
- Assistant commission counsel on the Inquiry into the Wrongful Conviction of David Milgaard (2004-2007), a public inquiry spanning 192 days of hearings with more than 125 witnesses and 100,000 documents
John Agioritis practises primarily in the area of tax litigation and tax dispute resolution. He has successfully defended and challenged a number of Canada Revenue Agency assessments and reassessments against individuals and business using various dispute resolution mechanisms and through litigation at the Tax Court of Canada.
John also represents clients on all types of criminal matters and regulatory infractions, with an emphasis on tax evasion and federal and provincial environmental and occupational health and safety legislation.
John has appeared before the Saskatchewan Provincial Court, the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories and the Tax Court of Canada.
- Chair, director, St. Paul’s Hospital Foundation (2011-present)
- Member, Policy Advisory Committee, University of Saskatchewan Museum of Antiquities (2012-present)
- Director, Saskatchewan Environmental Industry Managers’ Association (2011-2013)
- Director, treasurer, Greek Community of Saskatoon (2007-2011)
- Director, treasurer, Saskatoon Hellenic School Association (2007-2011)
- Volunteer, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada (2001-2003)
- “Corporate Criminal Liability in the Workplace: Criminal Negligence and the Metron Construction Fatalities,” The Saskatchewan Advocate (June 2016)
- “Fixing Tax Mistakes – Ethical Issues, the Correction of Documents, and Equitable Remedies,” Law Society of Saskatchewan (2015)
- “Practical Law Canada – Health & Safety – Accident Reporting and Government Investigation” (2015)
- Presenter, “OHS Investigations and the Law,” OHS workshop in Saskatoon (2015)
- “Solicitor Client Privilege and Current Trends in Reassessments,” Entrepreneurial Chartered Accountants of Edmonton (2014)
- Co-author with Douglas Hodson, Q.C., “International Comparative Guide to Business Crime 2014: Canada,” International Comparative Legal Guides (2013)
- Presenter, “Criminal Aspects of Environmental Legislation,” Saskatchewan Environmental Industry Managers (2013)
- “Directors’ Liability for Taxes a Corporation Fails to Remit,” The Advocate (June 2012)
- Presenter, “Media Law Update,” Prairie Regional Radio and Television News Directors Conference (2011)
- “An Update on Forfeiture Orders and Sentencing under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act,” The Advocate (fall 2009)
- “Crown’s Non-Disclosure Nets Award of $5000 in Compensatory Costs,” Lawyers Weekly, Vol. 27, No. 23 (2007)
- Presenter, “Electronic Information Management and ‘E-Discovery,’” Association of Records Managers & Administrators (ARMA) Information Management Spring Seminar (Saskatoon, 2007)
- MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman Law School Entrance Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan (2000)
- Most Distinguished Graduate in Public Administration, University of Saskatchewan (2000)