Western Canada’s Law Firm
MLT Aikins LLP is a full-service law firm of more than 240 lawyers with a deep commitment to Western Canada and an understanding of this market’s unique legal and business landscapes.
Based out of six key centres across the four western provinces, MLT Aikins is the only law firm to have offices in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. As one of the 30 Largest Law Firms in Canada (Lexpert, American Lawyer Media), we have the bench strength and geographic scope to meet the increasingly complex needs of clients – from the personal concerns of individuals to the highly sophisticated and comprehensive requirements of major business enterprises.
MLT Aikins is the result of the merger of two widely respected and distinguished law firms, MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman LLP (MLT) and Aikins, MacAulay & Thorvaldson LLP (Aikins).
Legal Excellence and Client Service
We view ourselves as partners in our clients’ ventures, helping them succeed by bringing our experience and legal expertise to bear on each assignment. We invest in understanding our clients’ businesses, the issues they face and their goals – and we efficiently and effectively address the legal, political and regulatory challenges they face.
Our firm and lawyers consistently receive high rankings for the quality of our work from Chambers Global, Lexpert, Best Lawyers, Benchmark Canada and Martindale-Hubbell.
Canadian Lawyer Magazine named us one of the top Western Canadian law firms – based on legal excellence and expertise, service excellence, significant mandates, client base and regional service coverage – and Fortune Magazine lists us as one of its Go-To Law Firms. We are the leading law firm in Saskatchewan and Manitoba in the Chambers Canada rankings, and we have been Benchmark Canada’s Saskatchewan Litigation Firm of the Year since 2012.
MLT Aikins has a legacy of community involvement. Our history dates back to 1879 and Sir James Aikins, who would go on to establish the Canadian Bar Association, serve as Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba and receive a knighthood for his lifetime of community service.
As Western Canada has grown and expanded, we’ve been there. Our firm has been a part of major milestones that have shaped our nation.
Other notable alumni:
- Murdoch A. MacPherson, Q.C. (founder of the Regina firm in 1920; present-day successor MLT), Member of the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan (1924-1934)
- G.S. Thorvaldson, Q.C., Senator, Member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba (1941-1949)
- Brian Dickson, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
- Marshall Rothstein, Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
- Donald K. MacPherson, Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench of Saskatchewan
- John Klebuc, Chief Justice of Saskatchewan
- Robert Richards, Chief Justice of Saskatchewan
- Georgina Jackson, Justice of the Court of Appeal of Saskatchewan
We are committed to making the communities in which we live and work better places for all. Our firm, lawyers and staff donate significant time and financial resources to enhance the culture, health and well-being of our communities. The extensive list of charitable initiatives we support includes:
- United Way (Pacesetter)
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Habitat for Humanity
- Make A Wish Foundation
- Regina & District Food Bank
- Hospitals of Regina Foundation
- Paul’s Hospital (Saskatoon) Foundation
- Royal University Hospital (Saskatoon) Foundation
- Jewish Federation of Winnipeg