Michael advises several First Nations and First Nation-owned entities on a wide range of economic development initiatives in a number of industries, including gaming, hospitality, contracting and oilfield services.
- Counsel to an agricultural and construction equipment dealer on commercial leasing matters.
- Counsel to various Alberta First Nations in connection with the development and administration of property tax and financial administration legislation.
- Counsel to several Alberta First Nations on the establishment and structuring of limited partnerships, corporations and trusts for both on- and off-reserve economic development, including the negotiation and structuring of partnerships and joint ventures with industry partners.
- Counsel to Alberta First Nations and First Nation-owned entities in connection with the establishment of various credit facilities.
- Counsel to Ontario and Alberta First Nation-owned entities on the structuring and acquisition of a gaming and hospitality business.
- Lead Alberta counsel on a $32 million acquisition of a construction industry business.
- Counsel to a privately-held exploration company on private placements of equity and general corporate matters.
- Counsel to a private medical and transportation company on its incorporation, organization and subsequent private placement of debt and equity securities.
- Counsel to privately-held technology company on numerous private placements of debt and equity securities.
Michael represents First Nations in negotiations with the Government of Canada regarding on-reserve commercial leasing arrangements and other matters, and in negotiations with resource companies to establish joint ventures and other business relationships. He has advised the leadership of several First Nations on a variety of matters including corporate structuring of Nation-owned businesses, financial administration and governance.
Michael acts for a range of lenders, including banks and private equity firms, on various financing transactions including term debt, subordinated debt, quasi-equity and equity investments. He also advises business clients, ranging from owner-managed businesses to larger organizations, on corporate structuring and reorganizations, acquisitions and dispositions, financings and corporate governance.
- President, University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association (2008-2009)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in Lexpert Legal Directory – Aboriginal Law
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Aboriginal Law