Michael advises financial institutions and private equity firms on various financing and investment transactions, and also advises corporate and business clients on organizational structuring, reorganizations, acquisitions and dispositions, and governance matters.
- Counsel to various financial institutions in connection with the structuring and implementation of financing transactions and equity investments.
- Counsel to a private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of several businesses.
- Counsel to purchaser of a ~$21-million oil field services business
- Counsel to Alberta First Nation in connection with the negotiation, with the Province of Alberta and the Government of Canada, and finalization of the transfer of the administration and control of Reserve lands in connection with the development of a major infrastructure project.
- Counsel to various First Nations in connection with the designation and subsequent leasing and commercial development of Reserve lands.
- Counsel to Alberta First Nation in connection with the establishment of a trust to manage proceeds of a major transaction, and to also manage the First Nation’s capital funds previously administered by Canada pursuant to the Indian Act.
- Counsel to several Aboriginal communities on the establishment and structuring of limited partnerships, corporations and trusts for both on- and off-reserve economic development, including the negotiation and structuring of partnerships and joint ventures with industry partners.
- Counsel to a First Nation respecting the dissolution of a business trust and conversion into a limited partnership structure.
- Counsel to various First Nations on the development and administration of property tax and financial administration legislation.
- Counsel to various Aboriginal communities and Aboriginal-owned entities in connection with the establishment of credit facilities.
- Counsel to First Nation-owned entities on the structuring and acquisition of a gaming and hospitality business.
- Counsel to various First Nations respecting a variety of income tax issues, including the development of tax-efficient structures for on- and off-reserve economic activities.
Michael acts for a range of lenders, including banks and private equity firms, on various financing transactions including term debt, subordinated debt, quasi-equity and equity investments. He also advises business clients, ranging from owner-managed businesses to larger organizations, on corporate structuring and reorganizations, acquisitions and dispositions, financings and corporate governance.
Michael represents First Nations in negotiations with the Government of Canada regarding on-reserve commercial leasing arrangements and other matters, and in negotiations with resource companies to establish joint ventures and other business relationships. He has advised the leadership of several First Nations on a variety of matters including corporate structuring of Nation-owned businesses, financial administration and governance.
- President, University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association (2008-2009)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in Lexpert Legal Directory – Aboriginal Law
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Aboriginal Law