Robert is a partner in the MLT Aikins litigation group, focusing on commercial and civil litigation and insurance law.
- Pankratz Farms Ltd. v. Peak of the Market Sales Ltd., 2017 MBQB 44 – Successful defence of a civil action commenced against Peak of the Market by a former potato producer relating to allegations of negligence and bad faith
- Albo v. The Winnipeg Free Press et al., 2019 MBQB 34, 2020 MBCA 50 – Successful defence of a civil action commenced against The Winnipeg Free Press by a local architectural historian relating to a dispute surrounding the publication of a book
- Romana v. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation et al., 2017 MBQB 163 – Successful defence of an interlocutory injunction motion brought against the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation relating to an online article published about the plaintiff
- Acted as counsel on first-party, third-party and subrogated claims for various insurers, including as coverage counsel
Robert’s litigation practice focuses on commercial and civil litigation, as well as media law. Robert also has experience utilizing alternative dispute resolution methods, including judicially assisted mediations.
Robert’s insurance law experience includes first party, third party and subrogated claims.
Robert also practises in the area of administrative and regulatory law, with a focus on matters pertaining to professional discipline. Robert acts as a prosecutor for professional regulatory bodies in relation to matters involving professional misconduct, and also acts as counsel to hearing panels where he provides guidance on process and procedure.
Robert has successfully appeared before the Provincial Court of Manitoba, the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench and the Manitoba Court of Appeal, in addition to being involved in matters appearing before private mediators and administrative tribunals.
- Associate, Ammeter Law Group (2015-2016)
- Articling Student and Associate, D’Arcy & Deacon LLP (2014-2015)
- Former Director, Society for Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD) Alliance
- Moot Competition Coach, Law Day (2015)
- Communications Director, Manitoba Law Students’ Association (2013-2014)
- Pro-Bono Students Canada, Legal Help Centre (2011-2012)
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Finalist, American Bar Association Regional Negotiation Competition (2013)
- Second Place, Robson Hall Negotiations Competition (2013)
- Dean’s Honour List, Faculty of Arts (2009-2011)