Sean is a partner in MLT Aikins mergers & acquisitions, private equity, venture capital and transportation groups. His practice focuses mainly on M&A, financings, fund formation and general business law. Sean has extensive experience leading mid-market M&A transactions in the range of $5 million to $250 million, working with both buyers and sellers. He also supports venture capital firms, co-investors and other investors with evaluating and completing investments across all industries, particularly in the area of innovation and emerging growth.
In Sean’s M&A practice, he works with all types of participants including corporate strategics, private equity firms, family offices and owner-operators. He also frequently works with first-time and repeat private equity and venture capital fund sponsors with the formation of funds and alternative vehicles to advance their investment objectives.
As a member of the transportation group, Sean’s practice also focuses on transportation-related M&A. In addition, he provides commercial support through agreements and business relationships in the areas of road transportation, warehousing and logistics.
He is dedicated to building trust and long-term relationships with his clients. His practice emphasizes communication, open dialogue and collaboration to find practical legal solutions that best align with business objectives. Sean is passionate about understanding the inner workings of a business and the industry in which it operates. Prior to entering law, Sean was a registered representative at a leading Canadian investment dealer and he draws on his experience and understanding of financial markets when he works with clients. He strives to provide excellent service to his clients with support from the firm’s wide range of services.
- Primary counsel in share acquisition of a Western Canadian NGL, industrial services and transportation company valued at over $50 million
- Primary counsel on numerous share and asset acquisitions in the transportation and logistics industry ranging in value from $10 million to $75 million
- Primary counsel in numerous share and asset acquisitions and dispositions in the technology industry ranging in. values from $5 million to $20 million
- Primary counsel in the spin-out of an industrial services division by way of plan of arrangement
- Primary counsel in the disposition of two separate oil and gas companies by plan of arrangement in values of $20 million and $30 million respectively
- Primary counsel in the disposition of a mining company by plan of arrangement valued at over $5 million
- Primary counsel to a transportation and logistics company in a $125-million short-form prospectus offering of convertible debentures
- Primary counsel to numerous companies in debt financing transactions including secured and unsecured credit agreements (syndicated and bilateral), credit facilities, acquisition finance and project-based financing ranging from $1 million to over $100 million
- Primary corporate counsel to a number of private equity and venture capital funds in fund formation and subsequent acquisitions and investments
- Primary counsel to venture capital fund in venture financing transactions ranging from $1 million to $5 million
- Primary counsel to numerous emerging growth companies in financing transactions including common share, preferred share, convertible debt and SAFE transactions ranging from under $1 million to $5 million
- Primary counsel to a commercial real estate company in various acquisition, divestiture and financing transactions ranging in value from $5 million to $35 million
- Primary corporate counsel to commercial real estate development company in structuring and financing of luxury commercial condominium projects with values ranging from $15 million to $25 million
- Primary corporate counsel to residential real estate development company in structuring and financing of residential development projects with values ranging from $5 million to $20 million
- Canadian Bar Association – Business Subsection
- Canadian Bar Association – Securities Subsection
- American Bar Association – Business Law Section
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Acritas Star™ Lawyer, Acritas: 2018