Stathy Markatos acts as corporate-commercial counsel to a number of a Saskatchewan based organizations. He brings the value of his experience to our clients, particularly in securities, M&A transactions and corporate governance.
- Acted as counsel to Greystone Capital Management Inc. and its shareholders in the company’s sale to the Toronto-Dominion Bank for a net purchase price of $792 million.
- Acted as counsel to funds managed by PFM Capital Inc. in connection with the $1.1 billion take-over bid by Aurora Cannabis Inc. for Cannimed Therapeutics Inc.
- Counsel to specialty finance company Crown Capital Partners on its provision of a $25 million term loan to Rokstad Holdings Corporation, one of the largest power line contractors in North America.
- Corporate and securities counsel to Weyburn Inland Terminal Ltd., a reporting issuer, in connection with its plan of arrangement, whereby all of its common shares were acquired for aggregate consideration of $94.5 million, providing advice on the plan of arrangement transaction and securities law advice respecting disclosure and the shareholder meeting (2014).
- Securities counsel to Information Services Corporation in connection with an initial public offering and secondary offering of 12,075,000 Class A Limited Voting Shares of Information Services Corporation, sold by Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan for approximately $169 million, and the listing of the Class A Limited Voting Shares of Information Services Corporation on the Toronto Stock Exchange (2013).
- Counsel for Lex Capital Management Inc. on fund formation and raising capital for the following funds: Lex Capital Partners LP (2009, $36.5 million), Lex Energy Partners LP (2010, $56.7 million), Lex Energy Partners LP II (2013, $54.4 million) and Lex Energy Partners LP III (2015, $93.4 million).
- Counsel to a Saskatchewan based investment fund in its asset purchase of a regional crop inputs distributor (2015).
- Counsel to a Saskatchewan based investment fund which provided loans to, and made venture capital investments in, medium-sized businesses located in Saskatchewan (2012-2013).
- Counsel to a potash company on the development and negotiation of a long-term year water supply with a contract value of over $100 million (2012).
- Advised a Canadian financial institution on the development of its equipment dealer floor plan financing program (2012).
- Securities counsel to a publicly-traded Saskatchewan based company on the sale of its $25 million grain handling and crop input business, providing advice on the sale transaction and securities law advice respecting disclosure and the shareholder meeting (2011).
- Counsel to the purchaser of a positioning equipment dealership with locations throughout Western Canada (2010).
- Acted for Saskatchewan-based issuers on public (2008) and private offerings (2007) on start-up bio-fuels and energy projects, including the preparation of offering documents and advising on securities and corporate matters.
- Advised both private and public sector organizations on the development of corporate governance models and matters related to director liability and D&O insurance.
Stathy advises clients on general corporate and commercial matters, with a focus on securities law. He has experience with public offerings, private placements, continuous disclosure and corporate governance matters. He also has acted for buyers, sellers and target companies on numerous M&A transactions, including transactions in the agribusiness, manufacturing, equipment sales, financial services and energy services sectors, by way of asset sales, share sales and plan of arrangement.
He has experience acting for providers of venture and private capital on debt and equity transactions involving investees in Saskatchewan.
He also advises public and non-profit organizations on corporate governance and compliance matters, and acts as ongoing counsel for a number of Saskatchewan based organizations, providing advice on a wide range of matters.
Stathy clerked for the Chief Justice of the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal.
Stathy is fluent in Greek.
- Director and Former Chair of Governance Committee, Regina Food Bank (2010-present)
- Former Vice-Chair, CBA Saskatchewan Securities Law South Section (2009-2012)
- Saskatchewan Editor, Canadian Forms and Precedents: Banking and Finance, Part 12 – Private Placements (Butterworths)
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for Regina in Securities Law (2019)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal (2002)
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law (since 2015)
- A leading practitioner, Corporate Commercial, Corporate Finance, Corporate Mid-Market, M&A, Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory