Adam Merrick is a leading commercial lawyer in the province of Alberta.
- Counsel to an REIT on a $160 million sale of six seniors’ lodge properties in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Counsel to an REIT on a $70 million acquisition of a significant real estate portfolio in Iqaluit, Nunavut including hotels, leased property, rental properties, development lands, apartments and office buildings. The transaction involved refinancing, leases, land consolidations, fire reconstruction and insurance matters.
- Counsel to one of Alberta’s largest self-governing regulatory associations in the negotiation of its office lease in downtown Edmonton comprising approximately 40,000 square feet.
- Alberta counsel for Healthlease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust regarding its acquisition of a senior housing property in both High River and Olds, Alberta.
- Alberta counsel for Healthlease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust on a $950 million U.S. acquisition by Health Care REIT Inc., a transaction including a portfolio of 14 properties in Ontario and Alberta and another 39 properties in eight U.S. states regarding senior housing, post-acute care and long-term care facilities.
- Counsel to a significant Canadian lender in numerous multiple million dollar secured loans including a $40,000,000 loan regarding the Edmonton Arena Development Lands.
Adam’s experience and client service makes him a valued asset to our clients, particularly in lending, commercial real estate, mergers and acquisitions and property development.
- Co-chair, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta North) Commercial Property and Leasing Subsection (2005-2014)
- Director and Vice-President, Talmud Torah Society / Talmud Torah Council of Talmud Torah School (2012-present)
- President and Director, Make-a-Wish Foundation (Northern Alberta, 2013-present)
- Course Instructor, Edmonton Public Schools, Metro Continuing Education (2006-present)
- Advisory Committee Member, Alberta Social Enterprise Fund (2015-present)
- Course Instructor, Legal Education Society of Alberta (2015-present)
- Sports and Ethics Committee Member, Tennis Alberta (2017-present)
- Member of the Northwest Territories Bar (2018 – present)
- Panellist, Law and Business Association, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Business of Law Seminar (March 2014)
- Presenter on commercial lending, title insurance and security to private and conventional lenders (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- “Unanimous Shareholder Agreements for Closely-Held Corporations: A Commercial (Non-Tax) Perspective,” Independent Insurance Advisers; PPI Advisers; Edmonton Lawyers and Accountants (2012)
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law (since 2013)