Arooj is an associate in the firm’s Edmonton office. She advises and represents unionized and non-unionized employers on all aspects of labour and employment law. She also maintains a general civil litigation practice.
Arooj is a civil litigation and labour and employment lawyer in the firm’s Edmonton office. Arooj has experience representing and advising unionized and non-unionized employers on a variety of issues, including wrongful dismissals, discipline and discharge, human rights, employment standards, occupational health and safety, workers’ compensation, certification, grievances and workplace policies and procedures.
Arooj has experience representing clients before the Alberta provincial court, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, the Federal Court of Canada, and several administrative tribunals, mediators and arbitrators.
She completed her articles with MLT Aikins after obtaining her Juris Doctor from the University of Alberta in 2018.
During law school, Arooj competed in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot and interned with the Alberta Human Rights Commission. Her previous work experience includes a research assistant position where she focused on mental health and bankruptcy law, and working as a law student at the Alberta Workers’ Compensation Board.
- Volunteer Lawyer, Court Assistance Program, Queen’s Bench Amicus Program (2019-present)
- Volunteer Lawyer, Edmonton Community Legal Centre (2019-present)
- Vice Chair and Technology and Design Coordinator, Women’s Law Forum (2015-2018)
- Youth Court Volunteer, Elizabeth Fry Society (2016-2017)
- Caseworker, Student Legal Services (2015-2016)
- Co-author with Toyin Akintola and Irehobhude O Ivioha, “On the Margins of Law: Examining the Limits of Legislative Initiatives on Maternal Mortality in South Africa and Nigeria,” Women’s Health and the Limits of Law: Domestic and International Perspectives (Routledge, 2020)
- Co-author with Anna J Lund, “When Gamblers Go Bankrupt: Current practices and future directions,” Rebuilding Success (Spring/Summer 2019)
- Co-author with Anna J Lund, “Bankrupt Gamblers: Research Informed Practice for Insolvency Trustees,” Annual Review of Insolvency Law 2018 (2019)
- Presenter, “Disordered Gambling & Bankruptcy Law: Research-Informed Practice for Insolvency Professionals,” Alberta Gambling Research Institute (Banff, April 13, 2018)
- Small Research Grant, Alberta Gambling Research Institute (2017)
- Roger S. Smith Undergraduate Research Award in the Faculty of Law (2017)
- Dean’s List, York University (2013-2015)
- Student Scholarship, York University (2012-2013)