Catrina Webster’s practice involves all aspects of corporate and commercial litigation with a focus on restructuring and insolvency.
Catrina has appeared before the Alberta Court of Appeal, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court of Alberta. She has also represented clients at mediations and settlement conferences.
Prior to joining MLT Aikins, Catrina was an associate in the Calgary office of an international law firm. In addition, she worked for a large oil and gas company.
- Counsel to Grant Thornton Limited, receiver of Crystal Wealth Enlightened Factoring Strategy, in obtaining a Bankruptcy Order against Restoration Energy, an Airdrie, Alberta based home maintenance and repair company (2018).
- Counsel to a secured lender in obtaining a receivership order against Kuzzii Motorsports Inc. of Calgary (“Kuzzii”). Kuzzii formerly carried on a specialized business involving performance parts, servicing, installation and auto detailing (2018).
- Counsel to a secured lender in obtaining a receivership order against a Calgary dental practice known as Nazeema Rajabali Professional Corporation (2018).
- Counsel to a secured lender in obtaining a bankruptcy order against 1789376 Alberta Ltd., an Edmonton-based company that operated a fast-food franchise, as well as against the principal of the company who had personally guaranteed the debts of the company to the lender (2018).
- Counsel to a significant builder’s lien claimant in regard to the bankruptcy of Sequoia Resources Corporation (“Sequoia,” formerly Perpetual Energy Operation Corp.), a privately held Alberta corporation which had acquired 3,200 gas wells. Sequoia filed a Notice of Intention to Make a Proposal to Creditors under Division I of Part III of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act on March 2, 2018 and filed an assignment in bankruptcy on March 23, 2018.
- Counsel to a secured creditor in obtaining a receivership order from the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta against Nevas Realty Inc., a property management corporation which carried on business and owned real property in Calgary, Alberta, and Swift Current, Saskatchewan (2018).
- Counsel to a court-appointed receiver of Edge Resources Inc., a Calgary-based oil exploration and production company (2017).
- Counsel to the court-appointed receiver of Tuscany Energy Ltd., a publicly traded oil exploration and production company (2017).
- Counsel to the senior secured creditor of Brayden McCue Professional Corporation (“BMPC”), a dental practice, and 1727363 Alberta Inc. (“172 Alberta”), a related holding company, in obtaining an Order appointing a receiver of both BMPC and 172 Alberta (2017).
- Counsel for a large municipality in proceedings under the CCAA regarding the Walton International Group Inc. group of companies engaged in the business of real estate investment and development (2017).
- Counsel to a secured lender to the Petrowest Group of Companies, a heavy construction business serving the oil and gas, real estate, railway, logging and civil construction industries in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia (2017).
- Counsel to a secured lender to corporations operating as Spareparts, a retail clothing and accessories business with locations across Canada, initially in proposal proceedings under the BIA in Alberta and later in CCAA proceedings in Alberta. The assets of Spareparts were purchased by 102036378 Saskatchewan Ltd. Acted as counsel to a secured lender in obtaining an Order from the Alberta Court appointing a Receiver of 102036378 Saskatchewan Ltd.
- Mylonas v. Kadman, 2018 ABQB 536, successful Application for Security for Costs against corporate and individual Defendants in relation to an action arising from property development and construction projects in and around Calgary. When the Security for Costs Order was later appealed, successfully defended an Application to revive and continue the appeal, resulting in the dismissal of the Appeal, and the striking of the action below (Mylonas v. Kadman, 2019 ABCA 39).
- Counsel to a significant builder’s lien claimant regarding biomass projects in British Columbia. Successfully recovered all funds on behalf of the builder’s lien claimant in British Columbia builder’s lien action and U.S. Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding (2018).
- Counsel to a genetic development and supply corporation successfully defending and dismissing all allegations of conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty (2018).
- Counsel to a property development corporation in a dispute over a residential construction project. Acted as second counsel in a trial of the matter and successfully obtained judgment and non-suit application dismissing the counterclaim at trial (2016).
- Volunteer, Court of Queen’s Bench Amicus Program
- Member, International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, The Advocates Society
- Member, Equal Voice