Colby practises in the business law department with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, regulatory matters, competition law, corporate and business structuring and organization, business succession, shareholder disputes and general corporate and commercial matters for public and private companies.
Colby has worked closely with consolidators in a variety of industries, including dentistry, pharmacy, recreation, agriculture and insurance, providing advice on behalf of both purchasers and vendors for businesses throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and the Maritimes.
Colby obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Manitoba in 2019 and completed his articles with MLT Aikins. He joined the firm as an associate lawyer upon his call to the Manitoba Bar in 2020. Prior to law school, he attended the University of Manitoba Asper School of Business and worked as a software developer, writing code for a program that supported insurance brokers.
Colby is an active member of the local community. He is a dedicated volunteer and member of the Winnipeg Art Gallery Inuit Art Centre Community Campaign. Colby enjoys playing hockey in his free time, having previously played for the Virden Oil Capitals in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.
- Chair, sales and merchandise, WAG Inuit Art Centre Community Campaign (Winnipeg, present)
- Member, steering committee, WAG Inuit Art Centre Community Campaign (Winnipeg, present)
- President, Robson Hall Jets Hockey Organization (Winnipeg, 2017-2019)
- Bruce H. Miller Memorial Award (2019)
- ZSA – National Post Richard Leipsic Prize for highest academic standing in Corporate Law courses (2019)
- Garth Erickson Memorial Prize for highest standing in Commercial Law (2018)
- Dean’s Honour List, University of Manitoba (2013-2015)