David practises in the area of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities law, with an emphasis on public company and large private company transactions, advice to boards and special committees and corporate governance.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Advising companies, boards of directors and special committees on mergers and acquisitions, including:
- Lead Counsel to The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company and its subsidiaries with respect to a significant number of acquisitions, including $875 million acquisition of Western Financial Group
- Co-lead counsel to Manitoba Telecom Services for $3.9 billion sale to Bell Canada Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Canadian Wheat Board for $500 million Commercialization and sale of Canadian Wheat Board to Bunge Canada and SALIC Canada Limited
- Lead Counsel to Exchange Income Corporation with respect to numerous significant acquisitions, including Provincial Aerospace , Quest Window Systems Inc., CanLink Global Inc., Ben Machine Products Company Inc., CarteNav Solutions Inc. and L.V. Control Manufacturing Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Hemp Oil Canada with respect to its acquisition by Manitoba Harvest
- Lead Counsel to Wellington West Holdings for $333 million sale of Wellington West Holdings and its affiliates to National Bank Financial pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
- Lead Counsel to Huntingdon Real Estate Investment Trust for its merger with IAT Air Cargo Facilities Income Fund ($400 million) pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
Lead counsel in excess of 500 Securities Offerings including initial Public Offerings, Private Placements, Bought Deals, Prospectus (long form, short form and shelf) offerings, TSX and TSX Venture Exchange Listings.
- Chair, MLT Aikins Executive Board
- Board Chair, Centreport Canada
- Board Chair, Stuart Olson Inc.
- Director, Salisbury House of Canada.
- Director, Education Canada Group
- Director, Fort Garry Brewing Company Ltd.
- Member of Investment Committee, Westcap MBO Limited Partnership and Westcap MBO II Limited Partnership
- Co-Chair, Winnipeg United Way Major Donor Campaign
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (Manitoba, 2019)
- Recognized by Chambers Canada as a Leading Canadian lawyer in Corporate/Commercial law (2020)
- Recognized in Lexpert/ROB Special Edition, as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in Infrastructure (2019)
- One of Chambers Canada’s top lawyers in General Business Law (2018 & 2019)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Securities Law (since 2009)
- A leading practitioner, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, M&A, Corporate Finance
- Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Securities Law
- Selected by Lexpert Magazine as one of Canada’s “Top 40 Lawyers Under 40” and as one of Canada’s “20 Corporate Lawyers to Watch”