David practises in the area of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities law, with an emphasis on public offerings, private placements, advice to public company boards and special committees, regulatory and stock exchange issues and corporate governance.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Advising companies, boards of directors and special committees on mergers and acquisitions, including:
- Lead Counsel to The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company $875 million acquisition of Western Financial Group
- Co-lead counsel to Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. for $3.9 billion sale to Bell Canada Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Canadian Wheat Board for $500 million Commercialization and sale of Canadian Wheat Board to Bunge Canada and SALIC Canada Limited
- Lead Counsel to Exchange Income Corporation for $250 million acquisition of Provincial Aerospace Ltd.
- Lead Counsel to Exchange Income Corporation for $85 million acquisition of Quest Window Systems Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Exchange Income Corporation for $55 million acquisition of CanLink Global Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Exchange Income Corporation for $46 million acquisition of Ben Machine Products Company Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Hemp Oil Canada Inc. for $40 million sale to Manitoba Harvest
- Lead Counsel to Exchange Income Corporation for acquisition of CarteNav Solutions Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Canadian Wheat Board for acquisition of Prairie West Terminal pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
- Lead Counsel to Canadian Wheat Board for acquisition of Great Sand Hills Terminal pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
- Lead Counsel to Canadian Wheat Board for acquisition of Mission Terminal Inc., Les Elevateurs des Trois-Rivieres Ltee. and Services Maritime Laviolette Inc.
- Lead Counsel to Wellington West Holdings for $333 million sale of Wellington West Holdings Inc. and its affiliates to National Bank Financial pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
- Lead Counsel to Huntingdon Real Estate Investment Trust for merger with IAT Air Cargo Facilities Income Fund ($400 million) pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement
Lead counsel in excess of 500 Securities Offerings including initial Public Offerings, Private Placements, Bought Deals, Prospectus (long form, short form and shelf) offerings, TSX and TSX Venture Exchange Listings for clients including:
- Exchange Income Corporation
- Temple Hotels Inc.
- Lanesborough Real Estate Investment Trust
- 200+ transactions as agent’s/underwriter’s counsel for investment dealer
- Chair, MLT Aikins Executive Board
- Chairman, Centreport Canada
- Chairman, PC Manitoba Fund
- Chairman and Director, Salisbury House of Canada
- Director, Stuart Olson Inc.
- Director, Education Canada Group
- Director, Fort Garry Brewing Company Ltd.
- Member of Investment Committee, Westcap MBO Limited Partnership and Westcap MBO II Limited Partnership
- Director, Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Real Estate Financing and Securities: A Primer, Upword (October 14, 2014)
- One of Chambers Canada’s top lawyers in General Business Law (2018 & 2019)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for Securities Law (since 2009)
- A leading practitioner, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Finance, M&A
- Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Securities Law
- Selected by Lexpert Magazine as one of Canada’s “Top 40 Lawyers Under 40” and as one of Canada’s “20 Corporate Lawyers to Watch”