Garnet Matsuba focuses on developing tax-efficient business structures, Canadian and international tax planning, and devising corporate reorganizations.
- Assisted Canadian private corporations in structuring equity participation by employees without triggering immediate tax.
- Worked with many professionals to restructure their corporations to facilitate income splitting under the Alberta professional corporation rules.
- Acted for major international corporations in establishing offshore business organizations to capitalize upon favourable tax treaty provisions.
- Reorganized numerous privately held corporations in a tax-effective manner to take advantage of various benefits provided by the Canadian tax system.
- Recently advised an Alberta pharmaceutical company on tax issues pertaining to the largest licensing deal in Canadian biotech history.
- Teamed with international advisers to design a tax-effective acquisition of a successful Alberta engineering firm by major U.S. consortium.
Garnet’s clients range from small to medium size owner-managed businesses to multinational enterprises, both private and public, spanning a wide variety of industry sectors.
His numerous academic achievements include winning the T. Eaton Company Gold Medal on earning his Bachelor of Commerce Degree at the age of 18. He was also selected Young Canadian Achiever for Edmonton-Strathcona and named the Alberta representative to the Federal Advisory Committee for International Youth Year in 1985.
- Member, Audit & Finance Committee, Law Society of Alberta
- Treasurer, Alberta Alumni & Friends of the Faculty of Law (University of Alberta) Association
- Former Governor, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Executive Member, Northern Alberta Taxation Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Statistician and Media Relations Liaison, Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club
- Presenter, “Anatomy of a Trust,” business and tax advisers (2013)
- Presenter, “The Uses of Trusts in Tax and Estate Planning,” business and tax advisers (2012)
- Lecturer on taxation, University of Alberta
- Presentations to the Judges of the Court of Appeal of Alberta, Canadian Bar Association, the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Legal Education Society of Alberta (including the 2010 Lake Louise Refresher Course on Business Law), the Entrepreneurial CAs of Edmonton, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta and the Estate Planning Council of Edmonton
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Tax Law (since 2012)
- Judges’ Bronze Medal in Law (1984)
- T. Eaton Company Gold Medal (1981)