Grant has a business law practice, and practises in the areas of commercial litigation, commercial law, employment and labour law and aboriginal law.
Grant has a business law practice with an emphasis on commercial advocacy. He regularly provides business law and employment and labour law advice to his corporate clientele, including many small- to mid-sized businesses.
Grant has extensive experience with acquisitions and divestitures of retail pharmacies, including acting as lead counsel on the sale of a large retail pharmacy chain in 2018. In 2019, Grant was recognized by Pharmacists Manitoba with the Ruban Insurance Friend of Pharmacy Award, an award given to non-pharmacists who have contributed significantly to the success of the pharmacy profession in Manitoba.
Grant’s practice also includes commercial litigation, commercial arbitration and mediation, with more than 80 reported decisions in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. He has additional experience with employment and labour law and aboriginal law.
Grant has appeared in all levels of court in Manitoba, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, as well as before numerous boards and tribunals, including the Manitoba Labour Board and all committees of the College of Pharmacists.
- Managing Partner, D’Arcy & Deacon LLP
- Lead corporate Counsel to Rubicon and its shareholders on the merger with Amenity Holdings Inc
- Secured a $3.6-million commercial arbitration award on behalf of a client in the property development industry
- Life Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Board Member, Manitoba Public Insurance (2019-2022) and Chair of Governance and HR Committee
- Judge, Jessup International Law Moot Competition (2022)
- Discipline Committee Member, The Law Society of Manitoba (2013 – 2022)
- Coach, Hockey Arbitration Competition of Canada (2015 – present)
- Former Chairperson, Civil Litigation Section of the Manitoba Bar Association
- Former President, Manitoba Law Students’ Association
- Past President, The Icelandic Festival of Manitoba
- Co-chair, Viking Park Legacy Project, The Icelandic Festival of Manitoba
- Past President, Lögberg-Heimskringla newspaper (serving the Icelandic community in North America)
- Past President, Fort Whyte PC Association
- Past President, Fort Garry PC Association
- Former Director, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
- Former Director, Manitoba Law Foundation
- Volunteer, Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Former President, Whyte Ridge Residents Association
- Former Executive Member, Whyte Ridge Community Club
- Mentor, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, The Law Society of Manitoba
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Contributor, “Commercial Debt Collection in Canada: A Legal Handbook” (2012, Canada Law Book)
- Contributor, “International Commercial Debt Collection” (2007, Thomson Carswell)
- Lectured at the Community Legal Education Association in Winnipeg
- Lectured at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba
- Lectured for the Advocacy Program at the University of Manitoba Law School
- “Key Legal Issues When Buying a Practice,” Own Your Future, CDSPI (October 2017)
- Leading Practitioner, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2022)
- The Ruban Insurance Friend of Pharmacy Award, Pharmacists Manitoba – presented to a non-pharmacist, who has contributed significantly to the success of the profession of pharmacy (2019)
- Life Membership Award, Icelandic Festival of Manitoba (2018)