Jeff Lee represents companies in financial distress, lenders and court officers in restructuring and insolvency proceedings across Western Canada.
Jeff’s insolvency experience includes assignments in the manufacturing, energy, aviation, real estate, agribusiness, hospitality, transportation, telecommunications, fish processing, construction, forest products, mining and pulp and paper industries.
In his commercial litigation practice, Jeff represents parties involved in shareholder disputes, banking litigation, landlord-tenant matters and builders’ lien litigation.
He has appeared before Superior Courts in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and New Brunswick, Appellate Courts in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and before the Federal Court, Tax Court and Supreme Court of Canada.
- Editorial Board Member, Rebuilding Success, The Journal of the Canadian Institute of Insolvency Practitioners (2011-present)
- Member, Law Student Writing Awards Committee, Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Bencher, Law Society of Saskatchewan (2021-present)
- Chairperson, Law Society of Saskatchewan Ethics Committee
- Director, Saskatchewan Jazz Festival Inc. (1999-2006)
- Former President, Community Radio Society of Saskatoon, Inc.
- Lecturer and deliverer on Restructuring under the BIA and the CCAA, Law Society of Saskatchewan “Debtor-Creditor Update and Refresher” session (Saskatoon, November 24, 2022)
- Co-presenter on the Impact on Insolvency Law and Practice of the 2015 decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in Attorney General For Saskatchewan v. Lemare Lake Logging Ltd – “Priming CRA? The Canada North Saga Continues & When the BIA is Not Paramount: Accommodating Lemare Lake Logging” (Insolvency Institute of Canada Conference, Naples, Florida, October 2019)
- Co-presenter with Graham Purse and Paul Olfert, “Ten Practical Steps to Identify & Manage Risk,” Chartered Professional Accountants of Saskatchewan seminar (Regina, November 2018)
- “Bankruptcy and Insolvency: Practical Advice on Managing Issues Arising From Business Failure,” Continuing Professional Development Webinar, Law Society of Saskatchewan (May 12, 2015)
- “Municipal Insolvency: The Canadian Perspective,” The Journal of the Insolvency Institute of Canada (2014)
- “Rooted in Equity: The Jurisdiction of Canadian Courts to Allocate Restructuring and Realization Costs in Insolvency Proceedings,” The Journal of the Insolvency Institute of Canada (2012)
- “Court Ordered Charges, Including Critical Suppliers,” Annual Conference of the Insolvency Institute of Canada (2012)
- “Asset Realization,” CAIRP Insolvency & Restructuring Forum (2011)
- “Agricultural Insolvency: Challenges and Opportunities Unique to Restructuring Canadian Agricultural Enterprises,” Isaac Pitblado Lectures, Law Society of Manitoba, Manitoba Bar Association and University of Manitoba Faculty of Law (2011)
- “Manufacturer Insolvency: Strategies For Retail Dealers to Manage The Challenges of Manufacturer Insolvency,” Western Canadian Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference, Canadian Institute (Vancouver, 2009)
- “Selected Issues in Agricultural Insolvency,” Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference, Canadian Institute (Calgary, 2006)
- “Preserving Value Through BIA Division I Proposals: Issues and Options,” Insolvency and Restructuring Forum, Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals (Calgary, 2006)
- “Preserving the Value of a Business in Distress Through Use of the CCAA,” Raising Capital & Preserving The Business Seminar, Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Inc. (2006)
- “Agricultural Insolvencies,” Commercial Insolvency & Restructuring Forum, Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals (Toronto, 2005)
- “Restructuring Challenges in Agriculture: The Legal Perspective,” Turnaround Management Association, Northwest Chapter (Calgary, 2004)
- Recipient, Saskatchewan Jazz Festival Jim Hill Festival Builders Award (2023) – In recognition of persons who have made major contributions to the success of the Saskatchewan Jazz Festival
- Lawyer of the Year, Insolvency and financial restructuring law, Best Lawyers in Canada (Saskatoon, 2021, 2024)
- Recognized by Chambers Canada as a Leading Canadian lawyer in Corporate/Commercial law (since 2021)
- Recognized in Lexpert/ROB Special Edition, as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in Litigation (since 2019)
- Member, Insolvency Institute of Canada
- One of Benchmark Canada’s “Canada Litigation Stars” – Insolvency (since 2013), General Commercial (since 2016)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring (since 2006) and Bet-the-Company Litigation (since 2021)
- A leading practitioner, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Insolvency (Insolvency Litigation), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (since 2007)
- One of Benchmark Canada’s “Local Litigation Stars”
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – “BV Peer Review Rated”