Paul Olfert provides practical restructuring, secured realization, and dispute resolution solutions to businesses, lenders, insolvency professionals, and individuals.
- Local counsel to BDO Canada Limited in effecting the transfer of several thousand bankruptcy estate files following BDO’s purchase of the consumer insolvency practice of Deloitte Restructuring Inc.
- Junior counsel to a secured lender to Phenomenome Discoveries Inc. (“PDI”), a Saskatchewan biotechnology company, in obtaining an Order appointing a receiver of PDI (the “Receiver”). An application by the Receiver for an Order approving the sale of the assets of PDI was granted in September of 2016: Golden Opportunities Fund Inc v Phenomenome Discoveries Inc, 2016 SKQB 306 [hyperlink to http://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skqb/doc/2016/2016skqb306/2016skqb306.html]
- Junior counsel to Golden Band Resources Inc. (“Golden Band”), a publicly-traded Saskatchewan corporation that previously owned and operated a gold mine near La Ronge, Saskatchewan. Golden Band filed a Notice of Intention to Make a Proposal under Division I of Part III of the BIA. Obtained an Order of the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench approving the sale by Golden Band of its shares to its principal secured creditor, vesting title to its shares in the name of the principal secured creditor and cancelling the extant shares previously issued by Golden Band to its shareholders.
- Junior counsel to a secured lender, successfully obtaining a receivership order respecting a Saskatchewan drilling company, and opposing that company’s application for relief pursuant to The Companies’ Creditors Arrangements Act.
Paul draws on the experience of our prominent insolvency and restructuring and corporate and commercial groups to provide practical advice to businesses, lenders, professional services firms and individuals.
He appears regularly before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench and has appeared before the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal.
Prior to joining the firm, Paul clerked at the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal.”
- Saskatchewan Law Review (2011-2012)
- Cecil G. Schmitt Prize in Company Law (2012)
- Law Foundation of Saskatchewan Harry Dahlem Scholarship (2011)
- Donald MacLean Prize in Constitutional Law (2011)
- William Elliott Scholarship in Law (2010)