Jennifer Sokal maintains a commercial and civil litigation practice, with a focus on administrative and regulatory law, construction litigation and insurance litigation.
Jennifer has a focus on administrative and regulatory law, with experience in the areas of professional liability and regulation, workplace safety and health matters, agricultural supply management and regulatory compliance generally. Jennifer’s litigation experience includes advising on construction litigation matters, insurance litigation matters and general litigation matters. Jennifer’s practice further includes constitutional litigation with respect to media law.
Jennifer has appeared before various tribunals and administrative bodies, the Provincial Court of Manitoba, the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench and the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench. She was part of a team that appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada in March of 2021, successfully representing a major news broadcaster respecting the ability of Canadian Courts to reconsider publication bans.
Jennifer obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Manitoba in 2019. She articled and summered with MLT Aikins before joining the firm as an associate in 2020.
- Member, Board of Directors, New Directions (2021-Present)
- Community Lawyer Supervisor, Pro Bono Students Canada (2021-Present)
- Mentor, Manitoba Bar Association Law Student Mentorship Program (2020-Present)
- Vice-Chair, Administrative Law Section, Manitoba Bar Association (2020-Present)
- CPLED Representative and Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association (2019-2020)
- VP Internal, Manitoba Law Students’ Association, University of Manitoba (2018-2019)
- Manitoba Law Students’ Association Representative to the Manitoba Bar Association Council (2016-2017)
- Volunteer Facilitator, W.I.S.E. Manitoba Inc. No Means No (2016-2019)
- Co-ordinator, W.I.S.E. Manitoba No Means No (2017-2018)
- Chair, Feminist Legal Forum (2018-2019)
- Volunteer Co-ordinator, Feminist Legal Forum (2017-2018)
- President, Robson Hall Mediators (2017-2018)
- Communications Officer, Robson Hall Mediators (2016-2017)
- Volunteer, Legal Help Centre & Pro Bono Students Canada (2018)
- Manitoba Law Society
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Moderator, Manitoba Bar Association Midwinter Conference 2021, Spoiler Alert! What’s Happening in Administrative Law?, January 2021
- Presenter, Fiduciary Duties, Conflicts of Interest and Reasonable Apprehension of Bias, Regulator Legal Review, January 2021
- Presenter, Trespassing and Rural Crime Legal Review, February 2020 and September 2020
- Recent Developments in Canadian Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law, Banking and Finance Law Review, Vol. 34, Issue 2, April 2019, pages 267-273
- Leon Mitchell, Q.C. Prize in Labour Relations for achieving the highest standing in Labour-Management Relations (2019)
- Paul Teskey Memorial Prize for Labour Law and Mediation for achieving the highest combined average in Topics in Dispute Resolution and Labour-Management Relations (2019)
- Dean’s Honour List, University of Manitoba Faculty of Law (2018, 2019)
- Pitblado Scholarship (2018)
- Aikins, MacAuley & Thorvaldson Hon. Marshall Rothstein Prize for Highest Standing in Constitutional Law (2017)
- Patricia N. and Mark G. Smerchanski Law Entrance Scholarship (2016)
- Dean’s Honour List, University of Manitoba Faculty of Commerce, (2012-2016)
- UMSU Scholarship (2016)